Pi_User5

Re: What happened to the Springfield, IL Thunderbolts?

Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:19 pm

I have not received a response to the Stratton building. However, I found one on top of a building. I contacted the city and this time they said I would need to contact the county. I'm really not sure if I want to do this. I'm probably going to have to rent a crane to get it off the building and a truck to get it to my house. That's a lot of money I don't have.

T1000 Charlie

Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:06 pm

I came to get my 1003 Thunderbolt the same way. Found it out of order on the courthouse, went to the county who then said it was the cities property and they said it was the counties. They both agreed if I hired a crane that had liability insurance and took it away the siren was mine. I had to agree if anyone asked about it I was to tell them it was taken down for repair and was deemed to costly to fix.
There was a fellow near me with a boom crane on a truck who charged me $200.
Works for me!
There is no such thing as a Thunderbolt that is not worth saving.

Pi_User5

Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:39 pm

I originally contacted the city and they told me to call the county. Now I'm back to the city because the county told me to contact them. I've contacted the city again and I'm awaiting a response. I'm more then happy to pay for the crane to get a Thunderbolt down.

coastalsyrolover

Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:37 am

You might have seen some thunderbolt 1000s too! I'm sure it's been mentioned before but I'd contact EMA or local city officials! Maybe even the historical society.
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Pi_User5

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:08 am

I've seen a 1000 and 2 1000Ts in Springfield. I've already contacted the city and the Office of Emergency Management. It's all up to the city at this point. I still have a few more contacts to talk to. :D

Pi_User5

Thu May 18, 2017 4:01 am

Well, if anyone is interested, I'm still waiting on a response from the city. I managed to establish communication with the Deputy Division Chief and the response was that there are no plans to remove the three sirens. I'm trying to figure out if he means that there were no plans made in 2006 to remove these three sirens with the rest or no plans in 2017. I responded and asked who I could talk to about getting these sirens. No response yet a week later.

At this point, I'm looking into get disconnected Thunderbolts from some surrounding communities

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”