Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

The very last Thunderbolt model

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:24 pm

Since I have mentioned this a few times, I might as well make a topic explaining.

What is the last Thunderbolt model? Well, the C-series of course. No that's actually incorrect. Yes that was the last mass-production model, but wasn't the last model at all. The last model is probably the least known model of the Thunderbolt and there is a reason too. This model wasn't really popular and it never was advertised that well. They sold only 10 units, and these units are now gone as far as we know. It is possible that someone can come across one, and they aren't hard to miss if you see one.

So what is this mysterious Thunderbolt I'm talking about? Well it's a white single-tone unit with the belt-less rotator we see on the 2001-SRNB, small RCM cabinet and smaller blower unit.
It looked like this:
image.jpg

WHOA WHoa whoa, hold on, the Thunderbolt never had this rotator. That rotator came out in 2003. Actually yes it did, and it was the first siren to have it. It was a Thunderbolt exclusive too. After mass-production ended for the Thunderbolt in 1990, Federal was selling 2001s, and Thunderbolts too until they would eventually run out of stock. In 1993, they wanted to attempt a modernization project on the Thunderbolt, because it was such a popular siren, and played a big part in getting them to where they are now. They knew it would sell just from its reputation alone. They started looking into the most problematic parts in these units and narrowed it down to the rotator in particular. As we all know, the old units had a motor, a gear reducer, and a belt to drive it. Although the system worked, it wasn't really maintenance free and was prone to breaking, as in the gear reducer running out of oil and stripping out, or belts snapping. They wanted to be rid of these issues and came up with a new unit that used the same core, but used a new low power, slow turning motor. The motor was turned upright and drove the spur gear directly. It was super efficient and effective, so they made a few units and added this to the new project. Next they worked on the RCM, making it more compact and easier to work with, did the same with the blower, and added in a more reliable radio into it. Thus came a new Thunderbolt unit with a bunch of improvements. Federal put it on the market and sold it beside the 2001. Sadly it didn't quite meet their expectations, which was probably from poor advertising, and booming popularity of the 2001. They managed to sell 10 units, but then pulled the plug on it. Now they were left with a few belt-less rotators and a lot of old units from 2001 mass production and a little bit of leftover Thunderbolts. Federal used up the massive stock of rotators and finally integrated the new rotator in 2003 with the 2001-SRNB.

Special thanks to former Federal member Jeff Morrison, and knowledgeable member Jonathan Callahan for helping provide the information on this awesome siren.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Re: The very last Thunderbolt model

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:55 pm

I wonder of there was ever a push to modify the Model 2 chopper motor to take 48VDC like the 2001 series. It's the only thing I see holding that siren back, since the other motors could be swapped for DC ones pretty easily. It'd make for a neat project if we could get some DC motors and an decent sized inverter to rig up a Thunderbolt to run on DC for fun. Kinda wish they pushed them a bit harder. I don't see them coming back any time soon, especially with the Equinox and 508 on the market being able to match and surpass it in coverage with DC motors.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:57 pm

That's very cool! I wonder what would've happened if Federal advertised it more.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:41 pm

I saw this same pic in another thread, and it was said to have been photoshopped. I tried looking for it but I couldn't find it.
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

Hannah
Supporter
Supporter

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:54 pm

The photo that tyler made is a mock-up of what the model would have looked like with some vast differences from the actual production model and is just to give a referential standpoint. as most of you are aware the mounting legs would have never been on the real unit.
Female enthusiast who is the owner of many large and small sirens, misc controls, timers etc. (too many to list in this small space) all big sirens came from cincinnatis old system.

Tyler
Developer
Developer

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:45 pm

DJ2226 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:55 pm
I wonder of there was ever a push to modify the Model 2 chopper motor to take 48VDC like the 2001 series. It's the only thing I see holding that siren back, since the other motors could be swapped for DC ones pretty easily. It'd make for a neat project if we could get some DC motors and an decent sized inverter to rig up a Thunderbolt to run on DC for fun. Kinda wish they pushed them a bit harder. I don't see them coming back any time soon, especially with the Equinox and 508 on the market being able to match and surpass it in coverage with DC motors.
Yeah, if they would've advertised them like the 2001 and kept them around they would still sell just from the sheer reputation DC or not. Not to mention that they could run on 3 phase if you needed a 3 phase siren, because it's not hard for them to switch motors and controls in favor of 3 phase AC power.
The Thunderbolt actually is on par with the 508, and pretty much over powers the Equinox due to the poor design of the Equinox. If you take an old 6M blower and pair it with a single-tone chopper, you can get around 128-130DB. 5Ms were about 128DB and the 4Ms were around 126-127DB. I don't exactly know why they lowered the power of the blower, but I guess they needed lighter sirens. Heck the 6M blowers didn't even run at full speed. Imagine what that 6M could do at full power.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
1984 SiraTone C/B

Snowcube
YouTube Username: Snowcube
Discord: lumex

Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:40 am

Well, if these were actually made, I would have to see it to believe it. Did they just use a 5 port chopper or was it something else like 6 port?
I have an unhealthy obsession with mini sirens.
Thingiverse page

Tyler
Developer
Developer

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:15 am

Zarlog wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:40 am
Well, if these were actually made, I would have to see it to believe it. Did they just use a 5 port chopper or was it something else like 6 port?
Model 2 and Thunderbolt use the same rotor, so it was a standard 5 port rotor. I don't know why you wouldn't believe it, especially when I have sources that can back me up. Who better to have the information than a designer himself.

Proud owner of
1984 SiraTone C/B

Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:08 am

Whoever edited that photo did pretty good!
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

Tyler
Developer
Developer

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:54 pm

Valtonus wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:08 am
Whoever edited that photo did pretty good!
Thanks! I made that back in 2015.

Proud owner of
1984 SiraTone C/B

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”