Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Re: The very last Thunderbolt model

Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:03 pm

if the blower was run at full speed, I think something would blow up. IE the chopper cap, or relief valve
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Model L wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:03 pm
if the blower was run at full speed, I think something would blow up. IE the chopper cap, or relief valve
The 5M blowers just about run at full speed if they don't already, and the 4Ms do run at full speed.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

coastalsyrolover

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:35 am

Beautiful!!! I've seen some white thunderbolts floating around. Probably not those ones tho...
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:31 pm

All the Thunderbolt blowers are turned down, the 5M only turns 1750 RPM and it's rated for over 2500. Fastest is the A2/C series which turns 2770, but the blower is capable of 3450 rpm.

I've oversped blowers before and it didn't seem any louder. The Bumblebolt in Thomaston has an oversped A1 blower with a 10 horsepower motor versus the 7.5 it came with. I had to add more weight to the relief valve and it still pushes it open during the wind down. Don't think it made that much of a difference in output though, just bogged the chopper motor. I only increased the blower speed by 100 rpm and found the max the siren was capable of handling. If it had been a 1000 instead of a 1000T the increase in sound output would have probably been much more noticeable, since a 1000 moves a LOT of air.

You can only push so much air through a hole the size of a piano key. After you reach the maximum flow ability you don't make any extra sound. That's why the Hurricane was pretty much the pinnacle of supercharged sirens. It was a much larger siren with a gigantic blower.

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:38 pm

yeah. The hurricane was in my opinion, the prettiest sounding siren ever. perfect third, with that undertone, it makes it sound so nice. wish there were more of these amazing beasts.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:50 pm

I wish we had audio of an 8/12 hurricane. Not even sure if any were made, it was just an option.

Tyler
Developer
Developer

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:01 pm

Model L wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:38 pm
yeah. The hurricane was in my opinion, the prettiest sounding siren ever. perfect third, with that undertone, it makes it sound so nice. wish there were more of these amazing beasts.
Well you do know that with a 4/5 port Thunderbolt, if you up the chopper level to either 6 or 7 and you can make it sound almost identical to a Hurricane.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
1984 SiraTone C/B

coastalsyrolover

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:09 pm

Since I have a single tone without a blower, maybe I should test that theory (by renting a blower). I have noticed single tones look to be able to handle a bit more air than a dual because of the straight line as opposed to "2 lines." I'm no expert but I think another thing that helps the hurricane is the fact that it has 2 single tone choppers (with huge ports and a gigantic blower as mentioned earlier) instead of one dual tone chopper where the air might not get pushed as easily but also the dual tone harmonies on a single chopper (not single TONE chopper... one chopper with 2 rows) I want to say "absorb" the sound or cancel it? Doesn't matter up close but further away you can really notice it. Going back to the blower thing I think it's interesting that the 5M is the loudest for the dual tone but the 6 is loudest for the single tone while the 5M on a single tone doesn't affect it (or just barely affects it) compared to the 4M. Also thinking that while trying to push for more CFM you also increase air pressure. Air pressure is basically brakes or a hill on the back tires of your car. It pretty much bogs the motor down at some point as mentioned earlier.
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Tyler
Developer
Developer

Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:08 pm

coastalsyrolover wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:09 pm
Since I have a single tone without a blower, maybe I should test that theory (by renting a blower). I have noticed single tones look to be able to handle a bit more air than a dual because of the straight line as opposed to "2 lines." I'm no expert but I think another thing that helps the hurricane is the fact that it has 2 single tone choppers (with huge ports and a gigantic blower as mentioned earlier) instead of one dual tone chopper where the air might not get pushed as easily but also the dual tone harmonies on a single chopper (not single TONE chopper... one chopper with 2 rows) I want to say "absorb" the sound or cancel it? Doesn't matter up close but further away you can really notice it. Going back to the blower thing I think it's interesting that the 5M is the loudest for the dual tone but the 6 is loudest for the single tone while the 5M on a single tone doesn't affect it (or just barely affects it) compared to the 4M. Also thinking that while trying to push for more CFM you also increase air pressure. Air pressure is basically brakes or a hill on the back tires of your car. It pretty much bogs the motor down at some point as mentioned earlier.
There isn't really any testing needed. Jeb just said that he has tested it before and told us the conclusion. A single tone rotor will obviously push more air, because there isn't any restrictions on it. A dual tone rotor has the issue of ports opening and closing at different spots, where one port can be open and another closed, or halfway open causing air pressure to increase a little or a lot. This is why Jeb was having issues with that 6M 1000T opening the relief while it was running. The 10HP motor is turning the blower at a higher rate and causing the air pressure to rise. Remember that the 6M has a 6 inch air intake and outtake. That's a lot of air moving through it.

Proud owner of
1984 SiraTone C/B

Alburnett2T22
YouTube Username: LinkSmokes420
Discord: Alburnett2T22

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:37 pm

A little bit off topic..but what software did you use to edit that? I use pixlr and Paint.NET (mostly Paint.NET)

Anyway, So this Thunderbolt model was basically be a 2001-130 or 2001-SRNB prototype / experimental model?
Proud-ish owner of a sh*tbox CLM 92729DP

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”