Dayne Lancaster

Re: Siren info.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Thanks SuperBanshee and all the others for your replies.

Is there anything special relating the electric motor other than single or 3 phase? such as a slow wind up at the start or are they just typical motors. Just asking in case it ever needs replaced.

Thanks again.

Dayne

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:57 pm

If it's three phase it's a high slip motor, and that's their nature to wind up slowly. But I do know that siren has either oilers or grease cups on it, depending on if it's a ball or sleeve bearing motor. They probably haven't been touched in god knows how long.

If it's single phase I would be very surprised. Most of the single phase ones that age died a long time ago. They have brushes that need periodic inspection and replacement, and eventually the commutators wear to the point that you have to get them turned or have a new one put on.

Dayne Lancaster

Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:47 pm

It's a 3 Phase motor for sure. This one works great and we just serviced / oiled / greased everything on it hoping to get many mores years of service from it.

Thanks for the info holler.

Rheems1

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:58 am

My good friend Warren Jenkins emailed me about this siren going up, believe it came from Grant Street and replaced a Sterling that was removed from the belltower of the firehouse. Looks like a great restoration on it, hopefully it will sound for many years to come!! When I came through that area a number of years ago there was a yellow and black STH-10 sitting behind Station 2 on the ground, I assumed it was meant to replace the siren there but it has since disappeared and does not appear to have been put up.. any idea on that?

The Current Station 2 Siren

The STH-10 behind Station 2

Dayne Lancaster

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Rheems1,I don't know what happened to the siren that was behind Station 2. I believe that siren came from Ellerslie but I'm not certain. The siren from the bell tower at old Station 1 got fried during a bad ice storm (no weather protection) after we put it up behind the police station. I guess the sirens could be Sterling Model M's but I believe the siren from Grant Street is the same as the one from the bell tower and from what I have found they were both horizontal dual cone Federal Electric Model B with modified intake housing. Unfortunately the tag on the motor was unreadable so I couldn't get any info from it. The one from the bell tower didn't have any covering on it but the cones were still there. There is a video on U Tube (My Federal Electric Model B Siren) of a Federal Model B siren that looks just like ours only in rough shape.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”