Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Re: Thunderbolt Blowers?

Mon May 15, 2017 1:35 pm

coastalsyrolover wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 5:39 am
Greenfield it depends on single or dual tone. But yes usually 6M blowers have a pulsating sound.
Not really, the difference of power between dual and single tone is so minuscule. If we are talking about the way the siren sounds, on a 6M it's pretty obvious, for a 5M and 4M, it's not easy to pick them apart unless you look at the blower itself.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

connerdstines

Mon May 15, 2017 2:30 pm

Greenfield1003 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 11:40 pm
Sorry for a bit of a bump but if you want to be able to tell just the blower apart by sound then the 6M blower makes a pulsating noise, the 5M makes kind of a humming sound with a hissing undertone and the 4M makes a LOUD humming sound.
The actual pitch that the blower itself peaks at while running is a pretty good clue if you can pick it out. 6M blowers have a very deep pitch, almost kind of a rumble, 5M blowers have hum that's in between 6M and 4M in pitch(it's almost comparable to 60 Hz power hum in sound) and 4M blowers are normally fairly high pitched.
Down to a Thunderbolt chopper, still a few goofy flashlight-siren combos, and a Model L.

coastalsyrolover

Mon May 15, 2017 5:53 pm

Tyler wrote:
coastalsyrolover wrote:
Greenfield it depends on single or dual tone. But yes usually 6M blowers have a pulsating sound.
Not really, the difference of power between dual and single tone is so minuscule. If we are talking about the way the siren sounds, on a 6M it's pretty obvious, for a 5M and 4M, it's not easy to pick them apart unless you look at the blower itself.
lol I guess I only write half of what I am thinking on here... the dual tone sirens you can hear the buzz pretty good. On single tones I don't usually hear the buzz as much. But all 6Ms have the pulsating thing or at least most do... regardless of the chopper.
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Greenfield1003
YouTube Username: Indy Metro Sirens

Mon May 15, 2017 11:31 pm

coastalsyrolover wrote:
Tyler wrote:
coastalsyrolover wrote:
I know that lol. I'm talking about the way that the blower sounds without the chopper running

lol I guess I only write half of what I am thinking on here... the dual tone sirens you can hear the buzz pretty good. On single tones I don't usually hear the buzz as much. But all 6Ms have the pulsating thing or at least most do... regardless of the chopper.
YouTube: Indy Metro Sirens
Facebook: Elizabeth Ogorek
Instagram: indy.sirens_weather_trains

Greenfield1003
YouTube Username: Indy Metro Sirens

Mon May 15, 2017 11:32 pm

Greenfield1003 wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 11:31 pm
coastalsyrolover wrote:
Tyler wrote:

I know that lol. I'm talking about the way that the blower sounds without the chopper running. Also my real name is Elizabeth :D

YouTube: Indy Metro Sirens
Facebook: Elizabeth Ogorek
Instagram: indy.sirens_weather_trains

coastalsyrolover

Tue May 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Ohh. Okay. Yea then you would be right for the thunderbolt, the RPM settings would make a hum just as you described. Interesting thing is federal signal probably had to very carefully calculate RPM and air pressure/ CFM to get it to the maximum output. But over time, once everything breaks in, they can lose just a bit of loudness... but the nice thing is they can still shake the ground!!! Pleasure Elizabeth :)
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”