Ben

VES-145 wiring help

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:01 pm

Hello everyone,
I own a Cheap VES-145 siren, and I am wondering what kind of motor starter I should use for this siren, as I am planning on wiring it up to my AF timer as well.
Thanks in advance,
-Ben

Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

Re: VES-145 wiring help

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:27 pm

Ben wrote:Hello everyone,
I own a Cheap VES-145 siren, and I am wondering what kind of motor starter I should use for this siren, as I am planning on wiring it up to my AF timer as well.
Thanks in advance,
-Ben
How much HP is the motor, and how many amps is it, because if its similar to my Model L, you can hook it up directly to the AF without damaging it, tho it would cause small hiccups in the siren(from what I know at least). If you want to run it off the wall, it should be more than fine without a motor starter. Just buy a wall outlet, wire positive to positive(hot), and negative to negative(neutral). By wall outlet I mean something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-A ... /100356790

That is what I used for my Model L.
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

Ben

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:38 pm

Hi Valtonus,
As for horsepower the manufacture does not state it, as well as the amperage. However it state 110 Volts
And for wiring it up to the AF timer without a motor starter what terminals would I use for that.
-Ben

Valra Bellkeys

Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:13 pm

Ben wrote:Hi Valtonus,
As for horsepower the manufacture does not state it, as well as the amperage. However it state 110 Volts
And for wiring it up to the AF timer without a motor starter what terminals would I use for that.
-Ben
Without a motor starter? I'll show you the diagram I used with my Model L. Though I have only ever done this with an AR timer, but maybe if your lucky, its the same. Make sure there is a short wire going between terminal 15 and 16. For MY setup, you will need 2 wall plugs. First wall plug will have terminal 9 going to the left side of the plug(neutral) and terminal 8 going to the right plug(hot). With the second plug, it is a fair bit more complicated. On the siren you have, you should be able to figure out which cord is positive and which one is negative. Take the hot(positive) cord to terminal 2. Then you will take the neutral cord(negative) and put it into the left side(neutral) of the wall plug. Then you will wire terminal 1 to the right side of the plug(hot).

Here is a diagram showing all of this. http://prnt.sc/an17yb The terminal pictures isn't mine. I

CDV777-1 helped me with all of this using my AR timer. Hopefully the AR timer is the same concept of your AF timer(without the coding of course).

Hopefully this doesn't hurt your AF timer or your VES-145. I don't think it will since it is a cheap siren and probably not powerful, probably about as powerful as my Model L. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about it hurting the siren or timer. Although, I HIGHLY doubt it will.
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

Ben

Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:27 pm

I will try the setup and I will let you know how it works. thanks again.

Ben

Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:32 am

Valtonus, I tried your diagram, and I removed all my previous terminal jumpers. except for terminals 15 & 16. However the siren would not run up.

Valra Bellkeys

Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:59 am

Ben wrote:Valtonus, I tried your diagram, and I removed all my previous terminal jumpers. except for terminals 15 & 16. However the siren would not run up.
Well then I'm not really sure. I suggest pm'ing CDV777-1, he is very knowledgeable about this. He actually helped me get mine running on my Model L.

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:41 am

You need to get an external relay that switches the siren itself. Switching the siren directly through the timer is risky and you'll probably end up burning something up. I'd recommend a 10 amp relay for the VES-145's, that's what I've used and it works fine.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Ben

Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:31 pm

Alright, I will look around. Thanks for the help. and would something like this work? Sorry for the long HTML

http://www.industrialcontroldirect.com/ ... AuWc8P8HAQ

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:11 pm

Ben wrote:Alright, I will look around. Thanks for the help. and would something like this work? Sorry for the long HTML

http://www.industrialcontroldirect.com/ ... AuWc8P8HAQ
That would work, but I'd recommend something like this:
http://www.industrialcontroldirect.com/ ... -3825.html
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”