Sparkes79
New User

Secomak Type 447 - Help Please

Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:23 pm

Hello All. I'm. A complete new to this so apologies if this is something you get asked a lot.

I've recently inherited a Secomak 447 Air raid siren (syren) and I'm trying to find out some more information.

It has a serial number but I've searched all over and can't find anywhere that can give me more information about it. I'm fairly sure it was WW2 and in the Midlands somewhere. Anyway, any help would be really appreciated

Thanks In advance
Attachments
20160808_160916.jpg

SuperBanshee

Re: Secomak Type 447 - Help Please

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Here is a website that goes into some detail about the Type 447, along with other sirens of the period.
http://www.geocities.ws/foxeye121/sirens.htm

My only correction is that Secomak's Type 447 was already in production as early as 1953 according to another archive's collection. Secomak was the commonly used brand name of Service Electric Co Ltd, Stanmore, Middlesex. They have since been dissolved.

Mitch

Re: Secomak Type 447 - Help Please

Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:08 pm

I know I'm digging up an old post, but it's a misconception that these Type 447's were used in WW2.

These sirens were for the Royal Observer Corps during the Cold War for alerting of incoming nuclear bombers. The sirens were not used by the ROC in WW2, although the Centre crews provided enemy aircraft track detail to enable Warning Officers, via the Police, to issue warnings to the public. The ROC was issued with sirens to carry out its nuclear role in the Cold War. All nuclear posts (1600) and most Controls (say 35) were issued with sirens so that they could carry out a warning role. The actual warning would be sounded by observers operating the siren on receipt of an ‘Attack warning red’ or ‘White’.

Distribution of both types of sirens to the ROC commenced early in 1964. One siren was issued per post so with say 1600 posts there would have been some 1600 to 1650 sirens in use with the ROC. They were issued in a wooden crate and stored in the underground post. They were used in training exercises. All sirens were withdrawn at General in September 1991. The Carter siren was considered more robust than the Secomak. The Secomak was issued in larger numbers to the ROC than the Carter. The production of the Secomak issued to the ROC would appear to have commenced from 1953 but variants were used in WW2. The Carter siren also was designed and used in WW2 so it may well be that it was this design that was issued to the ROC.
-Mitch

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”