DrDanthrax99

Re: Thunderbolt 1003A help and pictures.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:50 pm

Ah, thank you for the pic. That's just part of the flange, it gives the chopper assembly vertical support when mounted to the blower. To couple the assemblies you'll need one. I'm sure your local metal shop should have no problem fabricating one from the dimensions of the old one.

Oh, and I'd recommend those decals regardless of what color you paint it, they look really cool!
"I'm a Clinically Depressed Fecalpheliac on Prozac."

QuantumCurse
YouTube Username: Owen Yokley

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:59 pm

DrDanthrax99 wrote:Ah, thank you for the pic. That's just part of the flange, it gives the chopper assembly vertical support when mounted to the blower. To couple the assemblies you'll need one. I'm sure your local metal shop should have no problem fabricating one from the dimensions of the old one.

Oh, and I'd recommend those decals regardless of what color you paint it, they look really cool!
Thank you. Does anyone know where the Federal Signal logos that are on the sides of the rotator box can be found?
Proudly own a Edwards Model E, a Federal Enterprises Model 2, and a semi butched Thunderbolt 1003A converted to "B". Possibly a 3T22 soon.
From the state that was first in flight and last to fight

DrDanthrax99

Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:07 pm

QuantumCurse wrote:
DrDanthrax99 wrote:Ah, thank you for the pic. That's just part of the flange, it gives the chopper assembly vertical support when mounted to the blower. To couple the assemblies you'll need one. I'm sure your local metal shop should have no problem fabricating one from the dimensions of the old one.

Thank you. Does anyone know where the Federal Signal logos that are on the sides of the rotator box can be found?
http://www.suburbanaccents.com/ has the "FS Thunderbolt," "Circle F Lightning Thunderbolt", and Civil Defense logo decals on file.

QuantumCurse

Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:21 pm

DrDanthrax99 wrote:
QuantumCurse wrote:

http://www.suburbanaccents.com/ has the "FS Thunderbolt," "Circle F Lightning Thunderbolt", and Civil Defense logo decals on file.
What is the best way to contact them? And what should I say?
Proudly own a Edwards Model E, a Federal Enterprises Model 2, and a semi butched Thunderbolt 1003A converted to "B". Possibly a 3T22 soon.

DrDanthrax99

Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:38 am

Just give them a call and tell them you're restoring a Thunderbolt siren. If you give them a picture of that blower decal, they could probably make one up for you as well.

QuantumCurse

Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:23 pm

I've been lurking on the forum for a while and decided to update you guys on the Thunderbolt. So far I've been sanding the parts of the head. I got new brushes for the collector rings. Oh and I believe I found someone with a 4/5 Port chopper so I hope I can get it and install it.
I'm planning on posting a video about the progress at some point soon. Probably just a small test of the chopper and blower together and some randomness.
I've decided to paint it CAT yellow. More updates to come.

DrDanthrax99

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:32 pm

Those blower decals in black over yellow would look great.

Good luck with the 4/5 port chopper, you know if you get it everyone is going to make you record a high-low run, haha.

QuantumCurse

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:33 pm

Oh yeah. I intend to.

Some_3t22s
Discord: Devvendorf#5542

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:29 pm

Ok, if you don't already have a 4/5 port chopper/stator, a friend of mine in Wichita, KS knows that the Thunderbolts there are 1000Ts, so I'll see if they can acquire a Bolt chopper/stator. :TBolt:
Iowan citizen in a land of T-128s, 2001s and 4004/4008s among many others.

"The middle class worker wouldn't want to work on a whole bridge, a half bridge is much easier."
-Jack

QuantumCurse

Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:02 pm

Update time!!!!
I ran the original chopper and converted blower together in tandem last night. It put on quite a show. Everything worked perfectly. Since my RCM1 panel remains unwired (I haven't had time with college stuff and work) I used the contactors and manually engaged them.
After that me and my granddad disassembled everything and set everything aside to be sandblasted, primed, and painted. I'm going to go with a CAT yellow because I decided it would look nice. I intend to get a lightning bolt decal on the horn custom made by a friend of mine. Also I'm still looking for the Federal Sign and Signal Thunderbolt decals for the rotator box. If anyone could assist me that would be very helpful. Thanks and sorry for the bump. Also later I will post some pictures of everything because its been a while.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”