bobcat418
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Flying Train Productions

An update on the Cobb County siren system

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:56 pm

I was originally planning to try to get a recording of siren #19 today since it is the last Thunderbolt, but the weather wasn't looking that great, so I decided to call the Cobb county EMA to see if they would be testing today. Sadly the test was cancelled, but the Cobb county EOC told me that I could come and see how they set the sirens off if I wanted to. She started showing me the software that they use to control the system, but when she started showing me the status of the sirens, I noticed that all of the boxes for siren #19 were red. I asked what that meant, and she said that they are replacing it with a Vortex soon, because it started smoking during the last test and they had to disconnect power from it. While I knew this was going to happen sometime soon since this was the last Thunderbolt and the rotator has been broken for a while, what really surprised me was that they are also replacing siren #5 because the battery charger is acting up. This surprised me since it is a 2001 that is fine, except for the charger. Originally, I thought that they wanted to replace all of the Thunderbolts, but it looks like they also want to replace any siren that isn't a Whelen.
Check out my youtube channel Flying Train Productions
Proud owner of a '63 Thunderbolt 1000BT, '69 Model B-9 and a late 70's Model A
Certified Skywarn spotter since March 4th, 2017

PeachtreeSirens
YouTube Username: PeachtreeSirens

Re: An update on the Cobb County siren system

Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:58 am

I suppose it's dramatically fitting that the DeKalb Thunderbolt heritage would go out with a bang... It's a shame #19 bit the dust though. I was hoping to catch a video of it someday.

As for the 2001...I definitely suspect that's a big excuse to convert the system to 100% Whelen. I can actually see why - a Vortex and an SRN are completely different animals, after all, so it saves them a lot of hassle to have everything be uniformly electronic.
Don't wait. Take a siren photo today.
I was VASirens, but I moved.Check out IRC!
Proud owner of a frozen Model A, a Darley Champion "L", an Ademco 12V beehive, a few horns, a brass whistle and several old weather radios that sound like sirens. Those last three count, right?

Scoth
New User

Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:00 am

Shame about that, I was hoping to get out to #19 one last time before it was gone. I was even supposed to go last month but had something come up last-minute.

Interesting about your welcome at the EOC; I had tried talking to them last year or thereabouts and they wouldn't even give me the time of day. Maybe there's some new leadership!

bobcat418
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:41 am

VASirens wrote:I suppose it's dramatically fitting that the DeKalb Thunderbolt heritage would go out with a bang... It's a shame #19 bit the dust though. I was hoping to catch a video of it someday.

As for the 2001...I definitely suspect that's a big excuse to convert the system to 100% Whelen. I can actually see why - a Vortex and an SRN are completely different animals, after all, so it saves them a lot of hassle to have everything be uniformly electronic.
I have tried to get a video of the thunderbolts about 5 times, but every time, it either started raining or I was too late. I was really thinking that #19 would stay up a while since it seemed healthy and McCord Communications closed, however McCord was recently bought by another company called Allcomm that took over all of the sirens McCord used to service. I guess I will have to catch one of the tests in Jonesboro or Upson county if I want to see a Thunderbolt in Georgia from now on.
Scoth wrote:Shame about that, I was hoping to get out to #19 one last time before it was gone. I was even supposed to go last month but had something come up last-minute.
You didn't miss anything last month, it failed during the May test. By June, the utilities were already cut.

coastalsyrolover

Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:21 am

At least whelen is a good siren company.
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:01 pm

Me and Will T. went out to 19 today. It's dead as a hammer. We got video of it sitting while the whelens went off, and I called the EMA and reported it. The lady thanked me for the report and said that later today (as I type this) a work crew would be dispatched to look at the siren. As a joke, me and Will named our siren partnership the Atlanta Branch of the Siren Failure Unit. Me and will got what may very well be the last pictures of 19 still being a Thunderbolt. Here they are:

(Note the loose wire hanging on the antenna)

In addition, we saw 3 of Smyrna's sirens, however I do not feel they are remotely related to #19, so I will not post them.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Brendan Ahern

Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:36 am

What kind of control system do they use? All Whelen? Are the tbolts and 2001s ran with Whelen controllers?

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:57 am

It's some kind of Motorola activation system. All of their sirens have little boxes on them that contain remote terminal units. The RTUs control the sirens' controllers or, in the case of the Thunderbolts and 2001s, serve as a controller. They communicate with FSK. We just updated to this system during the last few weeks of December last year.
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

bobcat418
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:19 am

While I hate to bump my own topic from over the summer, I recently found some time to see siren #19. Sure enough, it has been replaced with a shiny new Whelen Vortex. I did not have time to see #5, but considering the fact that a crew came to replace #19, #5 most likely met this same fate. Here are the pictures that I was able to get of the new installation:

Siren head
IMG_2739.JPG
Cobb County siren ID plate
IMG_2740.JPG
Control panel
IMG_2741.JPG
Serial number on new pole
IMG_2744.JPG
Underside of the siren head
IMG_2745.JPG
Siren head on a new pole
IMG_2746_downscl.jpg
Disconnected three-phase power lines that ran to the Thunderbolt
IMG_2747_downscl.jpg
I will hopefully be able to see #5 soon, and possibly catch a test of one of the remaining 2001's before the rest of them meet the same fate. That's all for now :D.

Greenfield1003
YouTube Username: Indy Metro Sirens

Mon May 15, 2017 5:08 pm

Sorry for the MASSIVE bump but what exactly was wrong with siren #19/what would cause a Thunderbolt or any other siren to start smoking?
YouTube: Indy Metro Sirens
Facebook: Elizabeth Ogorek
Instagram: indy.sirens_weather_trains

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”