SomeGuy
New User

Re: The Mystery Is Revealed: Scream-Master Sirens.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:12 pm

Hey all,
I have compiled a list of where sirens stand in San Jose. The red are fire stations, Yellow are sirens, Blue are a handful of out of city sirens, and Purple are locations where sirens once stood but no longer do... I am trying to locate where all 57 sirens once stood, so if anyone has any that i haven't listed on the map, please let me know

Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 8.09.52 AM.png

Hacksaw

Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:55 am

Not all San Jose Fire Stations have/had sirens by them. Still, a good list.

I once had a full list of the San Jose CD siren locations in High School, the CIty Electrician let me have a copy, but, I can't find it now.

Station 22 has an SD-10 by it. The long gone Hedberg sirens (my avatar) were at Fire Stations 3, Old Station 4 (now Station 30), station 5, Station 7, & Station 8.

There was an SD-10 At Blossom Hill & Indian Ave., and, an SD-10 on Senter Road near Capitol Expressway.

A number of Model 5's were removed. There was one behind the stores west of Camden & Kooser, another behind the High School at 1570 Branham Ln., & one behind what's now Target at 1811 Hillsdale Ave.

Santa Clara removed it's sirens in 1993. Some of Sunnyvale's sirens have been removed, some still stand.

Hacksaw

Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:35 pm

Adding more for San Jose:

Senter Road & Diamond Heights:

https://goo.gl/maps/3QMgEGJaeHv

There used to be an SD-10 here:

https://goo.gl/maps/JqS5JNCp5u22

Another Model 5:

https://goo.gl/maps/YjeWDLmp98C2

Hacksaw

Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:46 pm

A Sream-Master in Sunnyvale:

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMH4 ... nnyvale_CA

There's a bunch of San Jose area sirens here:

http://www.waymarking.com/cat/details.a ... 21.976&t=6

SomeGuy
New User

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:58 pm

Hacksaw wrote:Not all San Jose Fire Stations have/had sirens by them. Still, a good list.

I once had a full list of the San Jose CD siren locations in High School, the CIty Electrician let me have a copy, but, I can't find it now.

Station 22 has an SD-10 by it. The long gone Hedberg sirens (my avatar) were at Fire Stations 3, Old Station 4 (now Station 30), station 5, Station 7, & Station 8.

There was an SD-10 At Blossom Hill & Indian Ave., and, an SD-10 on Senter Road near Capitol Expressway.

A number of Model 5's were removed. There was one behind the stores west of Camden & Kooser, another behind the High School at 1570 Branham Ln., & one behind what's now Target at 1811 Hillsdale Ave.

Santa Clara removed it's sirens in 1993. Some of Sunnyvale's sirens have been removed, some still stand.
camden and Kooser behind the stores is still there: 37.24034, -121.9083

SomeGuy
New User

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:05 pm

Here is the updated map, most of the sirens are still standing, purple are where sirens are reported to have been but are no longer. as it stands this is the most comprehensive map of them at this moment in time but north east and south san jose are significantly lacking in data points
Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 2.02.25 PM.png

mactrak7
New User

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Hi, I'm new to the Siren Board, but have seen this interesting post about Scream Master. Here in Colorado Springs, Colorado, between 1959 and 1989, we had a lot of air raid sirens throughout the city and El Paso county. They were a mix of: Federal Signal 550AT's, Model 5T's, B&N Mobil Directos, and Thunderbolt 1000's, and 1 Allerter. I looked at the spec plate located on the power box of the 550AT nearest to my house and it said: Scream Master Siren, 240 volts 3 phase, 20 HP, 125 dB, Scream Master Corp., Pamona California. At the time I thought that was the manufacturer of the whole siren, but now as I have gained knowledge of them, I think that Scream Master Corp. made only the mounting poles, since all of the sirens had the exact same mounting pole with the stand at the top and the climbing spikes and identical power boxes. Also, the 550AT's and 5T's and I believe the Mobil Directos were first put up in 1959 and were tested every first Friday of the month at noon. The Thunderbolts came in the 1970's, but still had the same poles as the other sirens. So I was just wondering if Scream Master assembled the sirens using their poles with the Federal Signal models and sent it as one unit. Any thoughts?

SuperBanshee

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:42 am

According to the 1954 Federal Civil Defense Administration manual, Scream-Master touted a 20 horsepower 125 decibel rotating siren however I've never been able to track down any further information on this siren. I'm very surprised the dual headed 500 would be tied to Scream-Master since every other Scream-Master I've seen photos of appeared to be factory-original designs. All I can think of is that Scream-Master was selling some Federal sirens alongside production of their own sirens. They did manufacture their own poles and mounting equipment which were fairly distinctive as the poles were metal instead of wood.

Valra Bellkeys
YouTube Username: Valra Bellkeys
Discord: Valra Bellkeys#0164

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:55 am

SuperBanshee wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:42 am
According to the 1954 Federal Civil Defense Administration manual, Scream-Master touted a 20 horsepower 125 decibel rotating siren however I've never been able to track down any further information on this siren. I'm very surprised the dual headed 500 would be tied to Scream-Master since every other Scream-Master I've seen photos of appeared to be factory-original designs. All I can think of is that Scream-Master was selling some Federal sirens alongside production of their own sirens. They did manufacture their own poles and mounting equipment which were fairly distinctive as the poles were metal instead of wood.
Thats interesting! Can I see your reference for the 125DB siren?
I own: One complete SiraTone, another SiraTone control module, a 1600W MC, 2 old ATI controllers, 2 round ATI horns with drivers, a ATI-DSA 4 thing, a Federal Signal FC, AR timer and Siratrol, and a small CD&F.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:27 pm

So, what if the 550 Federal isn't a Federal after all?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”