lkreykes

Boardman River Valley flood warning system

Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:56 am

Got a bit of a surprise today and I figured I'd share it with you all. Growing up in Traverse City, MI, I'd always notice a siren near town (Logan's Landing) whenever we'd drive by it. I never knew what it was for, nor did I care until I got into the siren hobby. I then discovered it is a Federal Signal EOWS 1212, and that there was supposedly another one of them a little ways away. They are used for flood warnings in the Boardman River Valley to alert residences of floods. Well today I finally went out to find the other one, and I was shocked to find THREE others, all within 2 miles of each other along the same road (River Road). This road in question is one that I have taken many times before, even after I became interested in sirens so I have no idea why I had never noticed them before, given that each one stands about 5' away from the road. I stopped to get some pictures of one of them, but I only hope that one day I'll actually hear one. My girlfriend lives near one of them and said she has not once heard them go off, other than for a flood warning a few years ago due to a mishap at the nearby Brown bridge dam that was removed a bit too quickly which caused massive flooding. Other than that, I am unsure as to whether or not they even test them. Seeing 2 more than I planned on finding in such a small area has got me thinking- how many more could there be?

I have started a map of some random sirens around northern MI, and in there I've mapped the EOWSs I've found so far. https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

Yes, it is leaning that bad.

Close-up

Quite interesting to find so many electronic sirens up here, since everything else is a electromechanical Federal of some sort on top of a fire department.
Last edited by lkreykes on Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im scared

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Re: Boardman River Valley flood warning system

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:18 pm

Did you ever happen to find out what happened to these? I never heard them sound off for that flood in 2012, and I was right in range of the one you took photos of.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

lkreykes

Re: Boardman River Valley flood warning system

Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:26 pm

All removed
im scared

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield