Stevan Z
YouTube Username: ChicagoSirens

Chicago Air Raid Siren System DOCUMENTS FOUND!

Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:20 pm

So a few nights ago, Logan (Tbolthurricane on Youtube) contacted me stating that through some research, he found a website that showed documents of the old Chicago Civil Defense siren system from 1958! As you could expect I was speechless! The documents even showed the locations and models of Chicago's 99 sirens at the time. According to the list, there were...

5- 180HP Chrysler Bell Sirens (Later replaced with Thunderbolt 1000)
5- 40HP H.O.R. Super Sirex's (All in Downtown)
23- 10HP STL-10
15- 7.5HP Model 7
1- 5HP Model 5
57- 10HP Thunderbolt 1000
14- 2HP Model 2 (All in the loop, were loaned to Chicago for testing purposes)
2- Steam Powered Foster Engineering Sirens (Number as of the early 1950's)

I could not believe it. I take no credit with finding this info, its Logan who found it, I am simply writing this info here with his permission since he doesn't have an account. Anyway last night, we started a map, mapping all of the location. This morning, it was finished and the link is https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl ... g7jGnE89mE
A few years ago, one of the members found what appears to be a H.O.R. on top of the Field Building in Chicago. With the documents I received, I can confirm it is indeed one and is still standing, and is the only one still standing. Another interesting thing is the documents show that Chicago installed Thunderbolts in Evanston, IL which is a neighboring suburb. We do not have a clue on why they did but can say all of the Thunderbolt's in Evanston were part of the former Chicago system. Again, I'm really amazed at the info I received, and it shows the history of the old Chicago system no one was really 100% sure about. Thank you Logan for finding all of this info!

At the moment, I do not have a link to the documents. When I get them, I will add them here.
Last edited by Stevan Z on Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brendan Ahern

Re: Chicago Air Raid Siren System DOCUMENTS FOUND!

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:43 pm

Very cool. I know there was a Chrysler on a sewage pumping station on 38th and racine. I work there from time to time and sadly there is no sign of it. But I still enjoy running the big 2000 horsepower pumps from 1939!

Andys Live WX
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: andyt1424

Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:53 pm

This is very interesting. I am very impressed by the amount of factual information we are finding on the history of siren manufacturers, systems, and locations. This is exactly what the Siren Board was built for and I encourage members of this board to keep digging deeper to find more of this great information!
Regards,
Andy Thompson
Electrician
http://www.somnwx,com
Owner of a 3T22A

Taterworks

Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:19 am

An article about the Field Building Siren:

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1951 ... lding#text

woodyrr
Supporter
Supporter

Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:30 am

This thread is intriguing to me. I have been curious about this photo of a Super Sirex featured in the article about Civil Defense in the 1969 World Book encyclopedia. The photo is credited to the "Chicago Civil Defense Corps. The documentation apparently not only verifies that Chicago had Super Sirex sirens, but the map also shows where they were located!

Thank you Stevan Z and Logan!

Posted for noncommercial educational purposes.
Text attribution: 1969 World Book encyclopedia
Photo attribution; Chicago Civil Defense Corps
Attachments
Chicago H.O.R Super Sirex TIF.tiff
Chicago H.O.R Super Sirex TIF.tiff (1.66 MiB) Viewed 8682 times
Raymond D. Woods, Jr.
Owner of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T air raid siren. :TBolt:

Archon

Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:43 am

It would have been not a surprise for Evanston, to Have Chicago install a system in Evanston and than Evanston to pay Chicago for them running and maintaining them lots of cities do this with others services.

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:13 pm

he found a website that showed documents of the old Chicago Civil Defense siren system from 1958! As you could expect I was speechless! The documents even showed the locations and models of Chicago's 99 sirens at the time. According to the list, there were...
So why no link to this site with the documents so we can all look it over???
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

Stevan Z

Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:16 am

CDV777-1 wrote:
he found a website that showed documents of the old Chicago Civil Defense siren system from 1958! As you could expect I was speechless! The documents even showed the locations and models of Chicago's 99 sirens at the time. According to the list, there were...
So why no link to this site with the documents so we can all look it over???
I'm waiting on him to send the link. Should be soon. Sorry for the wait!

Brendan Ahern

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:38 am

One thing I find interesting about this is the amount of sirens. There were major coverage issues with the old system. However, the city was still basically the same footprint then as it is now, with the exception of some areas near O'Hare, which were not built up until the 60's.

Stevan Z

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:32 pm

Brendan Ahern wrote:One thing I find interesting about this is the amount of sirens. There were major coverage issues with the old system. However, the city was still basically the same footprint then as it is now, with the exception of some areas near O'Hare, which were not built up until the 60's.
We are trying to find the maps post 60s to see if any sirens were added in the Ohare area. I personally live half a mile down the road from where the Oriole Park STL-10 was. Shame it was taken down.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”