carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Re: Vintage siren photos thread

Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:35 pm

We've seen other pictures of that Mobil Directo and 2016 before. If you look to the left of those 2 sirens, there is also a Federal Signal Modulator!
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: SoundMaster 391

Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:03 am

Yeah I noticed that modulator too. Thats why I said try find the 3rd siren. :lol:
Owner of a Federal Enterprises Model 2, Federal Electric Model D, Sentry F2 and AR Timer
Click here for SoundMasters YouTube Channel

Daniel

Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:15 am

I've seen that Mobil-Directo many times but never heard it. The horn is fixed in position, pointing toward downtown Seward. They used to sound it at noon, but never on Sunday's when my ship docks. There is another old Allertor in Skagway, which has four diaphones mounted next to it.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

siren fan

Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:09 pm

[quote="carexpertandy"]Here are some pictures that showed up in the Cincinnati thread sometime last year. These Thunderbolt pictures were taken in the early 90s before the station was demolished in 1994. It was then moved to a nearby street corner, but replaced with a 2001-SRN about 10 years later.

Sorry to be off topic but I spy a Mitsubishi Starion/Chrysler Conquest in this pic. I have an 88 Conquest, kind of a fan. :wink:

carexpertandy

Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:13 pm

siren fan wrote:Sorry to be off topic but I spy a Mitsubishi Starion/Chrysler Conquest in this pic. I have an 88 Conquest, kind of a fan. :wink:
I see that! They're pretty rare now, aren't they? I've even seen a few of them at a house in my neighborhood within the past few years.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

siren fan

Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:18 pm

Yes they are very rare. Getting hard to find parts for them too.

Urbanexplorer
YouTube Username: 500 Internal Server Error

Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:13 am

carexpertandy wrote: It was then moved to a nearby street corner, but replaced with a 2001-SRN about 10 years later.
The closest 2001 I know of is right across the main gate from Coney Island...did I miss something, or did you mean a T-128?

Park Hills, KY. Higher resolution here: http://www.kentonlibrary.org/genphotos/ ... ?i=di14554
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Formerly known as "Conky 2000".

carexpertandy

Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:39 am

Urbanexplorer wrote:The closest 2001 I know of is right across the main gate from Coney Island...
Yes, that's the one I'm referring to.

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:20 pm

I decided to do a bit more digging into Dallas, Texas's old Thunderbolt system, and I found some goodies for everyone to feast their eyes upon. Of course, all of the sirens are Thunderbolts.

This is fire station #4, taken in the early '80s (I'm just guessing, no publication date given).

This is fire station #7. Again no publication date, but I think this may be late 80's or early '90s.

This is fire station 25, as seen on September 5th, 1999

Station #26 on September 6th, 1969. You can see a thunderbolt installation, but the siren is cropped out in the picture. According to civildefensemuseum.com's 1974 Dallas siren site map, this is listed as a siren site. The old station does not exist though, as a new one was built in 2002 according to the DFD's website

Station #9 in the '70s I estimate. The thunderbolt is on the right side, hiding behind the trees (the horn's front can be seen, but the siren is not pointed towards the camera)

Station 8 in the '60s or '70s. You can see the blower and pole of a Thunderbolt installation to the left of the station.
Last edited by Brendan W on Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

carexpertandy

Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:28 pm

Brendan W wrote:Station #26 in what I am assuming is the '60s. You can see a thunderbolt installation, but the siren is cropped out in the picture. According to civildefensemuseum.com's 1974 Dallas siren site map, this is listed as a siren site. The old station does not exist though, as a new one was built in 2002 according to the DFD's website
I think I can see the blower on the left there. Also, look below the bottom of this picture, and you will see #26 and 9-6-69. So you're right about the 60s!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”