homerj212
New User
YouTube Username: johnnt

no tornado sirens in Northern Virginia why???

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:27 am

Another place that doesn't have tornado sires is the counties in northern virginia a very highly populated area. Now if chicago can have a tornado siren why can the surrounding area of Washington DC have some to protect our citizens. We use to have them in the late 80's early 90's one was right out my class room window. So why can't they have them now.

r4tbolts

Re: no tornado sirens in Northern Virginia why???

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:49 pm

My two cents, it is probably a history and regional thing why some areas have them some don't. Add to that the Chicago area has had some pretty bad storms, the Oak Lawn Tornado and Plainfield come to mind.

For my neck of the woods (southern Michigan) the Psalm Sunday tornado outbreak in the mid 60's grabbed a lot of peoples attention and before that were the Beecher (Flint area) tornado killing over 100 people in 1953. Been enough large tornado history in the lower half of Michigan to make sirens the norm for most cities and towns.

As for the DC area sadly it will probably take a f4 or f5 hitting DC or the heavy populated burbs before those in charge realize the need for a siren system. The old DC system was a cold war thing, obviously DC would have been one of the first cities to be targeted by the Soviets had the missiles let loose. I can't recall anyone saying the old DC siren system was used for weather warnings. Perhaps back in the day Officials in the DC area didn't want any confusion when sounding the sirens for anything other than a nuclear attack.

Here is an interesting link you might like http://smokeys-trail.com/tornado/tornado-alley.html

Josh
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: MetroSignal
Discord: Josh555#0001

Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:10 pm

Northern Virginia is far from tornado alley. So I'm guessing government officials don't see a need for tornado sirens.
- Josh
proud owner of a Federal Signal corporation Model A

PeachtreeSirens
YouTube Username: PeachtreeSirens

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:34 pm

Fairfax County claims sirens aren't economical for them because of the suburban nature of the county and the sirens' lack of voice capability. Uh huh.

Seeing how several towns in the southern half of the state have started installing storm sirens over the past few years, and how my area in particular has been nailed by decently-sized tornadoes twice in the past 5-10 years, there really is no excuse.

(500 posts, yay! Hopefully they've been half-useful...)
Don't wait. Take a siren photo today.
I was VASirens, but I moved.Check out IRC!
Proud owner of a frozen Model A, a Darley Champion "L", an Ademco 12V beehive, a few horns, a brass whistle and several old weather radios that sound like sirens. Those last three count, right?

homerj212
New User

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:47 pm

There was a tornado in prince william county in haymarket area a few years back. I heard va beach doesn't have any either and they had a tornado a year or so ago. I just don't get it even the town of laplata md was completely leveled by a tornado and there are still no sirens. Weather is getting more and more extremely violent and precautions are not being done. One town in Tennessee has lights to alert people on the street for a warning.

PeachtreeSirens
YouTube Username: PeachtreeSirens

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:11 am

La Plata is actually one of the few areas that does have storm sirens - they have several Whelen omnis scattered around town that were installed in response to the tornado, such as this one at the county courthouse.

Don't wait. Take a siren photo today.
I was VASirens, but I moved.Check out IRC!
Proud owner of a frozen Model A, a Darley Champion "L", an Ademco 12V beehive, a few horns, a brass whistle and several old weather radios that sound like sirens. Those last three count, right?

homerj212
New User

Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:32 am

That's good finally they got one. I don't know how fairfax county va can justify have tornado sirens are not economically but loosing lives and possible damages to they county is???? I grew up in prince william county va and they don't have any either and I have been through many tornado warnings while living in virginia and the weather is now getting more violent and more extreme and we all need to prepare for possible situations. The counties need to be storm ready

gman 1
YouTube Username: Gargar 14

Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:34 am

I don't know much about virginia, but my guess is money.
Whatever you do, don't push that big red button🔴!!!

homerj212
New User

Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:36 am

I am glad laplata md got a siren and look what at what it had to come to so they can get one. I have family and friends in prince william county and what has to happen for these county officials to wake up. Do we need to have a devastating tornado too so they can open their eyes and get sirens???

gman 1
YouTube Username: Gargar 14

Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:40 am

Again, money is normally a matter, those sirens are EXTREMELY expensive
Whatever you do, don't push that big red button🔴!!!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”