DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Re: Siren Craziness In Fort Worth!

Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:31 pm

mixerbd699 wrote:Jeb has it and will be restoring the siren for future use and a second life!
:D :thup: :clap: :mrgreen:
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Bryan

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Here are a few pictures from inside the grid faced thunderbolt, which turned out to be a wasp mansion. They were everywhere inside that siren, even in the motor. There must have been 300+ wasps in there.

ImageUntitled by mixerbd699, on Flickr

I will probably start a separate thread for the thunderbolt soon as I'll be taking it apart to clean out everything and check the chopper motor before i try and make some noise with it.
Owner/Operator of SirenTex LLC

Proud of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T, 2t22A, Model 2t, Model 3 Model 5, SD-10, STH-10, American Signal Corp. T-128, Whelen WPS-2750 and too many Whelen Lights

DJ2226
YouTube Username: DJ2226

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:58 pm

Dang that's scary. I think that this is kinda how that -SRNB I recorded probably looks inside its box. Were they all dead?
Proud owner of a Model 1.
DJ2226's YouTube Page

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:19 pm

mixerbd699 wrote:Here are a few pictures from inside the grid faced thunderbolt, which turned out to be a wasp mansion. They were everywhere inside that siren, even in the motor. There must have been 300+ wasps in there.

I will probably start a separate thread for the thunderbolt soon as I'll be taking it apart to clean out everything and check the chopper motor before i try and make some noise with it.
Nuke them from orbit... It's the only way you can be sure. In all seriousness though, I would have absolutely s*** myself if I seen that. Out comes the 6 pack of wasp spray.... I hope that doesn't happen to me up in a bucket truck....
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Bryan

Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:43 pm

DJ2226 wrote:Dang that's scary. I think that this is kinda how that -SRNB I recorded probably looks inside its box. Were they all dead?
They weren't completely dead till they got hosed by the spray. They were kind of funny since it was cold and they can't fly and are disoriented so they have no real idea of what's going.

stormsetter4 wrote: Nuke them from orbit... It's the only way you can be sure. In all seriousness though, I would have absolutely s*** myself if I seen that. Out comes the 6 pack of wasp spray.... I hope that doesn't happen to me up in a bucket truck....

It will happen eventually! I've had them come at me when I'm working on the Vortex siren head. They make nests in between the rotator and the top of the pole where there's a gap. Since we test weekly they don't usually make nests in the horns unless a driver has gone out and has been out for a while. The worst is when they find a way into the middle of the pole and then follow the wires into the box. Then you open the box and SURPRISE there are a bunch of wasps who are not too happy that you've crashed their party. I keep lots of cans of non-electrically conducting wasp spray on hand, working on sirens it's a must have.
Owner/Operator of SirenTex LLC

Proud of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T, 2t22A, Model 2t, Model 3 Model 5, SD-10, STH-10, American Signal Corp. T-128, Whelen WPS-2750 and too many Whelen Lights

mrboojay
YouTube Username: mrboojay13
Discord: mrboojay

Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:44 pm

DJ2226 wrote:Dang that's scary. I think that this is kinda how that -SRNB I recorded probably looks inside its box. Were they all dead?
It desn't look like it given they seem to move between the 2 pics and as wet as it is it looks like you sprayed a good bit. :)

But nice job being able to get those 3 sirens. But those wasps...wow...
Proud owner of a 1986 Thunderbeam RSH-10B (Blown) and a 1954 Thunderbolt 1000A. (With 4/5)
flickr
YouTube

Stormsetter4
YouTube Username: Stormsetter4

Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:52 pm

mixerbd699 wrote:
They weren't completely dead till they got hosed by the spray. They were kind of funny since it was cold and they can't fly and are disoriented so they have no real idea of what's going.

stormsetter4 wrote: Nuke them from orbit... It's the only way you can be sure. In all seriousness though, I would have absolutely s*** myself if I seen that. Out comes the 6 pack of wasp spray.... I hope that doesn't happen to me up in a bucket truck....

It will happen eventually! I've had them come at me when I'm working on the Vortex siren head. They make nests in between the rotator and the top of the pole where there's a gap. Since we test weekly they don't usually make nests in the horns unless a driver has gone out and has been out for a while. The worst is when they find a way into the middle of the pole and then follow the wires into the box. Then you open the box and SURPRISE there are a bunch of wasps who are not too happy that you've crashed their party. I keep lots of cans of non-electrically conducting wasp spray on hand, working on sirens it's a must have.
Oh yeah, that's why we scheduled the bucket truck to come in the winter. I am worried about the Allertor, as there were wasps buzzing all over it last time we were there.

Also, if you restore that thunderbolt, have a fun time squeezing in a single phase rotator motor. You will probably have to move the capacitor to a different spot.
-Cruz Newberry
Table Rock Alerting Systems, LLC
Emergency Alerting Systems for Communities & Industry

Website

Youtube Channel

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:15 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

NOPE!
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

coastalsyrolover

Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:19 pm

Oh my gosh those are paper wasps!!! I got stung by one of those mother blank-ers last year. They really pack a punch for sure. But at least they weren't yellow jackets!!! Interesting where wasps will hide and the fact that they are in a jailbar thunderbolt...
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

ArrowShooter1003
Supporter
Supporter

Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:20 pm

Holy crap, that's a lot of wasps!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”