Daniel

Re: WA/OR Siren Locations

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:37 am

The only XT22's I know of in Oregon are in Mount Angel (recently removed), Gaston, Sandy, and Falls City (removed).
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

coastalsyrolover

Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:30 am

Mount angel removed theirs? When did that happen? In august of last year it was still there! Well good thing I recorded it. And yea falls city removed theirs.
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

Daniel

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:13 am

The last time I drove through Mount Angel in February, the siren and its tower were gone from the city hall roof. They were not at the fire station either.

The one I really want to hear is in Amity. They have a Model 2 of little interest to me, but also a Buell horn array which I suspect may have been part of Portland's 1930's system (there is another set in Millington south of Coos Bay and a single double-horn in Tygh Valley). This is an air horn with two horns sharing a single diaphragm. The horns curve 180º to form an S, and the Amity and Millington horns have two double-horns to point in all four directions. The Amity horn is no longer used, but a hose hangs from the ceiling which, they told me, can be connected quickly to an air line. Sadly, I believe the old Amity fire station was torn down.

Here is the one in Tygh Valley, which is on a pole next to a shack which appears to have been a fire station. The Amity horn had another set on top and turned 90º.

coastalsyrolover

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:10 am

Is the horn still there? I think someone should do a walk around tour video of it (I will be that person if nobody else will it just might be on the back burner for a while.) Buell horns are cool for sure... Especially if it was portland's system. Oh and the mount angel 2T22 Was MAYBE moved to a museum (But considering the chief NEVER did what he said he was going to do... I can't promise that.) It more than likely got sold or scrapped. No the horns weren't lost so if it was moved to a museum all the horns should now be on it. If I go back there again I am going to have to talk to them about all that. And see if they did at least follow through with that.

Daniel

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:12 pm

At one time there was talk of moving Mt. Angel's siren to the fire station, several blocks away. Silverton wanted to add another siren also, so perhaps they got it.

coastalsyrolover

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:45 pm

Daniel wrote:At one time there was talk of moving Mt. Angel's siren to the fire station, several blocks away. Silverton wanted to add another siren also, so perhaps they got it.
*shrug... Who knows. All I remember is that it was country folk everywhere, the 2T22 sat on the roof and the roads were a bit of a PITA... If silverton did get it and they started sounding it off at noon that would be nice for sure!

Daniel

Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:26 am

The siren had most of the lower horns removed in an effort to reduce volume in the immediate area. One time I heard it at the Wooden Nickel, a bar just north of Silverton and four miles south of Mount Angel. The high tone was clearly louder than the low tone.

coastalsyrolover

Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:08 am

Wow. Yea the fire chief and the police officer I talked to out there said we couldn't even be having our phone conversation if it was sounding. Although it was rated at the same DB level as the STL-10 (114 DB @100 feet) respectively, it's dual tone sound carries pretty far for sure and it's honestly REALLY surprising how much the horns help carry that. The fire chief said he still has the other horns… I think he said it was in the basement of either city hall or the fire department. Like I said it was supposedly going to a museum and was being replaced with… Another siren?!?!?!?!? They probably went to pagers though… Anyways that was for sure a good siren. I never heard one in person but I have seen a ton of them in person.

Daniel

Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:45 pm

Sorry to bump the post, but the SD-10 that was on the old city hall in Pendleton is most likely destroyed. When it was taken off its metal tower, the siren was left on the roof of the building laying on its side. This past Tuesday, the building, which was being used as apartments, exploded and the resulting fire gutted the tower. The son of the building's owner was killed (pray for him and his family) and the siren is probably ruined.

SiroRailfan

YouTube Username: Trains N' Stuff

Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:07 pm

Hello! I understand this is an older thread, but I thought the list should be updated with this: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.6750331 ... 312!8i6656

It looks to be some kind of a Darley in Cascade Locks. If anyone can clarify what siren it is and what it's there for, please respond. Thanks.
Musician, railfan, and photographer over here!

~Tobias

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”