uncommonsense

Re: whats the difference between whelen 2800 to 2900

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:00 am

dclarkct wrote:I am here to learn what the outside world thinks of Sirens in general and chime in when I know an answer, I love my job.
Will you have my children?

Just kidding. That's not awkward.

I was born and raised in St. Louis County, MO. So, born and raised around your product. The rotating 2000s and the 3016s are all I had around me. Nothing before or since has gotten my attention like those...they were just plain eerie. They are what got me into sirens. Even now that they've been replaced by 2900s, I still was blown away that by those units. The one a half mile from me still was still shockingly loud on test day and the voice crystal clear. Hell, I could hear units as far as 3 miles away in suburban St. Louis.

Y'all make a quality product and one I'm very fond of. Not that my opinion matters in the grand scheme of things, but you will find the veterans here have a high degree of respect for the Whelen product.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:39 am

Yes, it's always nice to talk to the "people behind the sirens".

dclarkct

Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:36 pm

I started 2006, my first project was the 2030 controller. I also handle the UL certification for products, outdoor warning and EMF test Engineering. I try to Monitor the TSB site as often as I can, I really enjoy hearing and seeing other sirens especially the mechanical type (boy would I like to make one of those).

Tours are easy anybody let me know ahead of time and I will arrange it. I can take you into the anechoic chamber and show you all the bits.

I am not here to bash or to sell just get feedback and help.
Age 55.

dclarkct

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:26 pm

We are located right next to the Chester airport in Chester CT. My Extension 2034.
Age 55.

whelen2900

YouTube Username: caleblondon@2001

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:16 pm

Thank you for all the help.

now a proud owner of a wolo siren
model: FA siren

whelen2900

YouTube Username: caleblondon@2001

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:17 pm

Thank you for all the help.

now a proud owner of a wolo siren
model: FA siren

coastalsyrolover

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:11 am

dclarkct, That is very cool that you do that kind of work! I have some personal feedback if you would like! First one is it sounded to me like the older whelens were lower pitched than the newer ones. Honestly I liked that lower pitch better. Second thing is I also have to admit I wish the whelens had longer winddowns. But hey at least they don't do that weird thing some modulators do where it winds down, then holds the bottom note for a minute, then shuts off. Also if you guys could make a dual tone version of the whelen as well as continuing the single tone i think that would be awesome! Oh and last thing... Attack tone should have a lower pitch and should sustain the note more at the top end of the signal. That's all my personal opinions.
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

coastalsyrolover

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:42 pm

uncommonsense wrote:Image
:lol:
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

dclarkct

Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:40 pm

coastalsyrolover wrote:dclarkct, That is very cool that you do that kind of work! I have some personal feedback if you would like! First one is it sounded to me like the older whelens were lower pitched than the newer ones. Honestly I liked that lower pitch better. Second thing is I also have to admit I wish the whelens had longer winddowns. But hey at least they don't do that weird thing some modulators do where it winds down, then holds the bottom note for a minute, then shuts off. Also if you guys could make a dual tone version of the whelen as well as continuing the single tone i think that would be awesome! Oh and last thing... Attack tone should have a lower pitch and should sustain the note more at the top end of the signal. That's all my personal opinions.
I love feedback and/or suggestions. The winddown had to match the existing sirens so I couldn't increase it otherwise the sirens wouldn't end at the same time. I did build into the 2030 controller hardware the ability to do dual tones or single tone. The problem is that when you do dual tones you lose output level, and then the dB level at 100 feet is down (measured -3dB). The hardware is still there and I could program it to work say on a 2910 half the speakers one tone half the other.

Every aspect of the tone is programmable, linear/log ramp, two-tone(hi-lo) frequencies and ramp up/down times.The only thing that I cant do is lower the volume. That would be stressful to the amplifiers.
Age 55.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”