MetsFan2512
New User

sirens on Long Island, NY

Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:52 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to the website but I've always been fascinated by the air raid sirens in my town and then came across the many tornado warning videos on YouTube that sparked greater interest. So, I emailed the fire chief in my town ( Bay Shore, Long Island, NY) and got some information on the sirens:

- There are 4 sirens, which are located on the Main HQ on Fifth Avenue, another behind the high school in the lot for Town of Islip maintenance yard, Orinoco Dr. Next to the LIRR near Manor Ln. by the public water tower in West Bay Shore, and the last at Station 2 on Tillie Street, east of Brook Avenue.

- The sirens are still used today and are tested every Wednesday and Saturday at Noon, and the siren is only used on certain calls such as structure fires, heavy rescue, mutual aid calls, water rescues, etc. they use to be used for EVERY call but several years ago a certain part of the community complained about how frequent they were going off so the fire district decided to limit the siren for certain high priority calls now.

-The chief isn't sure what type of siren tone is used as far as being alert, attack, all clear, etc. and which function they're used for.

-The sirens are NOT used for any weather related emergencies as of now despite numerous tornado warnings in recent years and a few tropical storms and hurricanes hitting long island. The chief did say this "However, with weather predictions and forecasts becoming more and more reliable it is an option that we would consider using in the future."

that's all the info I got from the chief last night, I sent another email asking if he knew what brand, model and if they're mechanical or electric sirens, if the FD or town of Islip, Suffolk county, or NYS OEM or State fire conduct and run the tests and upgrades and maintenance and provide funding for the sirens, and I asked if any of the sirens are showing age and are slated for a replacement anytime soon. Hopefully he gets back to me with info. I'm also going to try and take pictures of the sirens but I don't want to raise any eyes since its not normal to be taking pictures of a fire house on a busy road in the era of terrorism.

So, are there any other members from Long Island that have info and pictures on their towns sirens? Also do any long island, or Northeast towns or local municipalities use the sirens for weather related emergencies like they do in the Midwest for tornados or just for vol. FD and noon calls and tests?
Last edited by MetsFan2512 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

lilsirenguy

Re: sirens on Long Island, NY

Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:36 pm

If I remember,they were Carter-ish sirens that are 10/12 on 50 hz.

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:52 pm

lilsirenguy wrote:If I remember,they were Carter-ish sirens that are 10/12 on 50 hz.

That makes no sense, he is in Long Island, not England.

Long Island had everything, HOR's, Model 5's, 2's, Tbolts, Diaphones, 3t22s, you name it.

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:02 pm

holler wrote:
lilsirenguy wrote:If I remember,they were Carter-ish sirens that are 10/12 on 50 hz.

Long Island had everything, HOR's, Model 5's, 2's, Tbolts, Diaphones, 3t22s, you name it.
Yep, the Farmingdale fire District has a 3T22, a Tbolt 1000(T), a diaphone, a Model 2, a Model 5/7, and a 9 port Screamer.
Im not lying when I've seen just about all the sirens in NYS on the archive
There is also an SD-10 at the Jericho Fire Department. At Williston park, there are 2 Model 2s, an HOR, an SD-10 and a Model 5/7near an intersection. Here are the sirens, in no order (couldn't add the 5/7) :
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:10 pm

What your saying is a HOR, isn't that a screamer? (I'm not sure)
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:30 pm

4J25 wrote:What your saying is a HOR, isn't that a screamer? (I'm not sure)
No, it's not. It's the Gray louvered one in Williston Park

MetsFan2512
New User

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:55 pm

*update* I drove around looking at the 4 sirens today, They all look to be the same type and model of sirens and if I'm right, to be mechanical, the one on the main HQ looks to be refurbished and has a fresh coat of whitish gray paint, the other three on the other hand are rusted and old looking almost as if they were forgotten about with vines and weeds growing on them. I took a few crappy sell phone pics of the one on Orinoco Drive in West Bay Shore, what surprised me was there was a brand new fence with barb wire around the base of the pole where all the control are)

ImageImageImage
(Red are the sirens, Green are schools/ location of children, Yellow is public places, Orange is hospital)

Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:12 pm

MetsFan2512 wrote:*update* I drove around looking at the 4 sirens today, They all look to be the same type and model of sirens and if I'm right, to be mechanical, the one on the main HQ looks to be refurbished and has a fresh coat of whitish gray paint, the other three on the other hand are rusted and old looking almost as if they were forgotten about with vines and weeds growing on them. I took a few crappy sell phone pics of the one on Orinoco Drive in West Bay Shore, what surprised me was there was a brand new fence with barb wire around the base of the pole where all the control are)

ImageImageImage
(Red are the sirens, Green are schools/ location of children, Yellow is public places, Orange is hospital)
Those are STH-10s

lilsirenguy

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:40 am

holler wrote:

Oops :oops: i got that thought from a site that i dont remember.

theroofable

Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:15 pm

This guy has tons of videos of noon tests and the system sounding for fire calls as well. Take a look on his channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/truckie6119/videos

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”