Mark N
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Damaged Tornado Sirens in Moore: Photos

Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:33 am

Edit: Never mind, that was kinda useless. The other picture is pretty damn amazing (excuse my French) it still looks somewhat intact.
Last edited by Mark N on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:33 am

I went out to eat a little wile ago and now i ask did any tornadoes hit Moore county if so more sirens maybe gone.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

uncommonsense

Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:59 am

Thunderbolt10031 wrote:I went out to eat a little wile ago and now i ask did any tornadoes hit Moore county if so more sirens maybe gone.
I think you meant to say,

"I went out to eat a little while ago. Did any tornadoes hit Moore? If so, are anymore sirens gone?"

The answer is probably too soon to say but I'm not seeing Moore as having been hit badly this time around.

coop866

Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:31 am

That tornado really thrashed those sirens.
Former owner of a 1984 ACA S-10 Screamer, now in the possession of fellow forum-user estokke09.

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:08 am

4J25 wrote:Man this really sucks! A tornado coming through and destroying a town and its sirens!

By the way, I never thought of Modulators being so tough:
So i had a read of the photo caption for that one... "A battered tornado siren that lost power during the storm. (Gayland Kitch/City of Moore)"
Thought all modulators were battery powered. :wink:
4J25 wrote:The cells look pretty beat up, not completely un-fixable. The drivers are most likely intact, at least I would think so. Then again, there is always water damage...
That entire siren is a mess. It would most likely need to be replaced regardless.
ACAPenetrator50 wrote:There was a tornado warning yesterday which prompted the city of Moore to activate the sirens, although there was an all clear about 15 minutes later. Wonder if any of the damaged sirens actually worked during it...
Most likely not. Most of those damaged sirens had been either snapped, severing of the wiring, internals exposed to tornadic damage, receivers broken off.

Those photo's are simply stunning however. I hope that EVERY siren company out there takes these pictures into account for any aerodynamics of future designs. Control boxes, poles, antennas, the siren itself - all can be taken into account for such a future design to be a slight bit more stronger in resistance to such a wind / debris event. Most of those sirens captured there were destroyed by the debris flying around - there is no ands, if or buts about it. Wind can propel the debris into unfathomably fast projectiles. Large objects will flat out topple anything in its path. To be honest, it goes to the basics of energy transfer.

edit; Looky what i found in the background!
--bc

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:25 am

jkvernon wrote:Here's this too...
https://www.fema.gov/photolibrary/photo ... 3?id=65939

and this...
http://www.fark.com/comments/7774217
(scroll to bottom)
Making a mirror of that image here on this board for future reference. That picture speaks volumes.
vn6iuMhc_ByTYgESUX4MOUojZZA.jpg
Do we have an idea where this photo was taken at? And do we have an idea which 2t22 this one is from in its original location?
--bc

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:38 pm

Clean the packed mud out of the stators and it will probably still run. Those sirens are freaking tanks.

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:21 pm

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me. Other thank the somewhat dinky (No offense 2/3T22 lovers, I like em' too!) the main siren is just like a block of steel carved out to be a siren. :lol:
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:11 pm

holler wrote:Clean the packed mud out of the stators and it will probably still run. Those sirens are freaking tanks.
I know federal made a dumb decision to stop making the xt22. By the way can single phase xt22s run on batteries?
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

RyanJamesDean98
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: RyanJamesDean

Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:21 pm

Thunderbolt10031 wrote:
holler wrote:Clean the packed mud out of the stators and it will probably still run. Those sirens are freaking tanks.
I know federal made a dumb decision to stop making the xt22. By the way can single phase xt22s run on batteries?
If you have a DC to AC power converter that can handle the amps, then yes.
Proud Owner of too many sirens
Pictures, Video, and More Available on My Website.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”