StonedChipmunk

San Onofre Nuclear Plant "Mystery Sirens" Replaced

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:34 am

I'm disappointed to say that the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station has decided to replace their mysterious Toshiba-built sirens with WPS-2900s. Unfortunately, I was planning to drive all the way to Pomona from San Diego to photo these beauties, but I was surprised to see a Whelen in the place I normally saw the first Thunderbolt-style siren. I kept driving, only to find that every siren location on the 5 now had a Whelen WPS-2900 of a various size. I really wished to get one last look at these sirens, but I suppose that day will never come.

However...

Due to the fact that these sirens may have been taken down within the last month or so, there still is a chance to contact SONGS's emergency coordinator to see if these sirens are available (and not turned into scrap metal).

So...

Since Southern California's Edison website doesn't have much information on who to contact for the sirens, would anyone like to help to preserve these sirens and, possibly, take a peek inside them to see what they're made of?
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

500AT

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:20 am

I am all for it! However, I live around 3,500 km east of there. Nevertheless, it would be an excellent idea to find out more about their old system, especially for historical purposes. Do any photos of the old sirens exist in anyones' collection?

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Daniel

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:38 am

500AT wrote:I am all for it! However, I live around 3,500 km east of there. Nevertheless, it would be an excellent idea to find out more about their old system, especially for historical purposes. Do any photos of the old sirens exist in anyones' collection?
So when are we finally converting to metric on the highways? We've only been officially on the metric standard since 1866! I risk being called un-American for even saying this!

Good luck on finding those sirens. I'm sure half the employees there want one too. It would be good enough just to get a close up look at one to get a better idea how they work. Every Toshiba site I've visited has no mention of them.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

Shinkansen

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:41 am

I'd love for you to get one of those Toshiba's. I've never seen nor heard one before, and I had no idea Toshiba made sirens.
Blades will bleed. Shields Will Shatter. But as the light fades, will the Hero rise again? Or will darkness rein?

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:15 am

Best thing to do is check the dump....where else are they gonna put em?

Shinkansen

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:04 am

Good point Jason.
Blades will bleed. Shields Will Shatter. But as the light fades, will the Hero rise again? Or will darkness rein?

C. Bryant

Dana Point Ca. & San Clamente Sirens

Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:26 am

Dump ? dont forget about one third were STL-10's
whish I had one of them. Great tone . 8) sort of like
Das Boot near the end of the movie.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:24 pm

I was there about a month ago, and the Toshibas were gone... There is (was) still a T-bolt horn ontop of one of the buildings near the south of the complex. I did see quite a few; maybe as many as 8 or 9, Modulators along the highway.

Unfortunately, I don't have time in the next couple weeks to chase & research what happened to the Toshibas, but I would be able/willing to go get them if the whereabouts were known. That is unless they think the sirens are worth big $. I'm about 150 miles north of San Onofre. I have no interest in keeping them, but I can store them for awhile and save them from the metal yard.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

Daniel

Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:00 pm

I would guess that there is a compressor, tank, valve, and control system in addition to the siren head which will all take up a lot of room. The dump is a good place to check, but also check with scrap metal dealers.

The "Das Boot" siren was a nine-port French siren that sounds a lot like an STL-10, but the windup is much faster. That was a great movie -- I watch it now and then to keep up my German comprehension, as I have forgotten a lot.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

500AT

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:19 pm

The director of safety at San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station, should know of, or have the information that you desire. Likewise, you can call Southern California Edison's Corporate Communications Office at (626) 302-2255. They should be able to put you in touch with the person(s) who can answer your questions. :D
Last edited by 500AT on Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”