500AT

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:33 pm

Shinkansen wrote:I'd love for you to get one of those Toshiba's. I've never seen nor heard one before, and I had no idea Toshiba made sirens.
Toshiba started to manufacture high-powered, outdoor warning sirens in 1939. This process started with their predecessor, the Tokyo Electric Company, which started to produce sirens in the mid-1920s. The merger of Tokyo Electric Company with the Shibaura Engineering Works Co., Ltd., established the Tokyo Shibaura Electric Co., Ltd., transfering everything under one corporate umbrella. Now known as Toshiba, they produced all sorts of war related products for the Japanese Army and Navy during World War II, including air-raid sirens.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

StonedChipmunk

Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:58 am

Notice how I ask someone ELSE to get these sirens. Due to the fact that I am 15, I am currently living in Chattanooga, TN, and I have almost $0, it's impossible for me to get them.

kx250rider, what highway were you on? I only saw Whelens from the 5 (the tall black tube-style ones, not the Vortex-style ones).
At least try to get one of the sirens. Just think about it: if you got just one, at least we would be able to discover more about it. Furthermore, think about how much it would be worth later on! It's not like anyone at SONGS wants (or needs) them, as air raid sirens of such type are pretty much illegal around here. (It's an even worse story to activate one.)

If possible, get in contact with the director of safety to at least reserve the sirens. If you can't purchase them, at least go over there to get more information on them (and, possibly, get the only recording EVER of them, plus more than the one pic on the Siren Archives.)
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:09 pm

StonedChipmunk wrote: kx250rider, what highway were you on? I only saw Whelens from the 5 (the tall black tube-style ones, not the Vortex-style ones).
At least try to get one of the sirens. how much it would be worth later on! It's not like anyone at SONGS wants (or needs) them, as air raid sirens of such type are pretty much illegal around here. (It's an even worse story to activate one.)

If possible, get in contact with the director of safety to at least reserve the sirens. If you can't purchase them, at least go over there to get more information on them (and, possibly, get the only recording EVER of them, plus more than the one pic on the Siren Archives.)
I was on the I-5, and the sirens I saw were along both sides at maybe 1-mile intervals. I'm not familiar with electronic sirens, so the ones I saw might be the same ones you saw (black, tube style.) More I think, they weren't Modulators.

I found out I'll be going right through there tomorrow! I'll try to take better notice, and maybe a photo or 2. I'd stop in and ask about the Toshibas, but that's a maximum security compound and I wouldn't be allowed anywhere near it without official business. If I get a chance, I'll try the Edison corporate info phone # (thanks to 500AT.)

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

pyramid head

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:40 pm

It really is too bad that they have been removed. I would have loved to see one of them seems how they do sound like quite a sight. :(
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

StonedChipmunk

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:32 pm

Just think of it this way: take the Thunderbolt in this forum's logo. Make a bunch of copies of it, and place them in a circular pattern (like you were taking those frame-by-frame photos when it was rotating) with no spaces between them. That's pretty much what they looked like (of course, they didn't rotate... that would be pretty funny).

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:57 pm

I went by yesterday, and now even the T-bolt I mentioned in the previous post seems to be gone :( . It was on a building near the S end of the compound, and was plainly visible from the highway. I suppose I could have missed it yesterday, but I don't think so.

This is a photo of one of the new Whelen (?) sirens along the Interstate 5 at Christianitos Road. They start from San Juan Capistrano on the North, and seem to stop where Camp Pendleton begins. That's about 10 miles.

Sorry about the photo quality... I took it at 70 MPH.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:14 am

There's a map of the siren system on San Clemente's website. Here's the map if anyone plans to do a hunt in the area.

http://san-clemente.org/sc/Inf/Maps/MapList/sirens.jpg
(It's a big picture so you may want to download it first and view it using the zoom feature in Windows Picture and Fax viewer)

I've searched around some of the locations in the map on Windows Live Local using the Bird's Eye View function and it shows the old sirens in many places.
Most of them are located on street corners and are very easy to find. Some will be in public parks or parking lots and at least two of them are located on some tall hills over neighborhoods.

StonedChipmunk

Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:50 pm

kx250rider wrote:This is a photo of one of the new Whelen (?) sirens along the Interstate 5 at Christianitos Road. They start from San Juan Capistrano on the North, and seem to stop where Camp Pendleton begins. That's about 10 miles.
Yeah, that was the first one I saw (I was traveling north). The first ones ever put up were very early, before I can even remember (at least 6 years ago) and there was one on either side of the plant. I was really wondering what the hell it was, then when these went up I finally realized... they made the system entirely Whelen. Except for the bullhorn-style sirens surrounding the plant, of course.
It's definitely a Whelen of mass proportions. I saw one of these huge ones going up in Detroit somewhere...
In this corner: WHELEN! *massive cheer from crowd*
And in this corner: ATI! *small cheer from city treasury members*
FIGHT!

SoundOff
YouTube Username: yuandrew

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:39 am

I just remembered I had a drawing of that siren on PCH and Camino Capistrano Rd mounted to a street light which I had posted on the old board after I last saw it during a visit to Dana Pt. It's located near a "Pacific Sales" store (a place that sells professional-style kitchen appliances like Wolf Stoves and Sub-Zero refrigerators)

I'll just clean it up and post it here. The drawing isn't actually to scale; if I remember correctly, the siren itself appeared to be the around the size of the SD-10 [>=<]

Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

Re: San Onofre Nuclear Plant "Mystery Sirens" Replaced

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:01 pm

(THREAD BUMP) But too bad those damn Whelen's replaced them ,especially since they were one of a kind.
Last edited by Duderocks5539 on Mon May 21, 2018 1:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”