Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

Re: San Onofre Nuclear Plant "Mystery Sirens" Replaced

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:07 pm

SoundOff wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:39 am
I just remembered I had a drawing of that siren on PCH and Camino Capistrano Rd mounted to a street light which I had posted on the old board after I last saw it during a visit to Dana Pt. It's located near a "Pacific Sales" store (a place that sells professional-style kitchen appliances like Wolf Stoves and Sub-Zero refrigerators)

I'll just clean it up and post it here. The drawing isn't actually to scale; if I remember correctly, the siren itself appeared to be the around the size of the SD-10 [>=<]
As a little kid I would always see this one along with others since our family has a condo in Dana Point. I remember seeing them in 2004 and 2005 ,and if I remember correctly they were still in great shape.
Last edited by Duderocks5539 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

Duderocks5539

Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:12 pm

I got in contact with the guy who made these gems and He told me that he hasn't worked there since like 2004. Im still waiting for him to call me back and tell me how they worked. His name is John Glenn Powell. He might even have a spare unit ,but hopefully they are all in one piece somewhere saved.
Last edited by Duderocks5539 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.

SiraTone

Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:58 am

I have a dvd shot in July of 2005. It is of a cabride on board Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Train 572 from Los Angeles to San Diego. It shows that There was a toshiba siren at that sight by Pacific Sales.

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:36 am

Can you post the video?
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

Duderocks5539

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:49 pm

SiraTone wrote:
I have a dvd shot in July of 2005. It is of a cabride on board Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Train 572 from Los Angeles to San Diego. It shows that There was a Toshiba siren at that sight by Pacific Sales.
You'll be passing a few of the old sirens. There are 2 of those SCE built sirens on Camino Capistranio Rd ,next you will pass I believe an STL-10 on PCH and also that SCE built siren by the pacific sales. And if you pass the pier on the train ,there is a STL-10 there.
Last edited by Duderocks5539 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ilovehens
New User
YouTube Username: Casablanca panama 101

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:14 am

Yea I wish I could of been to a test before whelens replaced them :|
Proud owner of an SD-10

Duderocks5539

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:34 pm

SiraTone wrote:
I have a dvd shot in July of 2005. It is of a cabride on board Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Train 572 from Los Angeles to San Diego. It shows that There was a toshiba siren at that sight by Pacific Sales.
Could you post that video?

SiraTone

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:46 am

The Video is 3 hours long since it’s a full cabride on Amtrak’s Pacific Surfliner from LA-SD and is on DVD. Somebody did post it on google drive which I will try to find. Please note I am have been very very busy lately so I haven’t had a chance. There is really nothing other than 1 Toshiba by Pacific Sales and the rest of the sirens seen seen are STL-10’s. The Whelen by JSerra was addded in when the upgrade was done. And if your wondering DudeRocks5539 yes I do live in South OC no I don’t live in SJC or any of the cities in the SONGS EPZ. I don’t want to really disclose where I live in south OC but all I will say is I live in the Mission Viejo area. I created this account a long time ago to view a thread that you had to be a member on here to read. I never got to here the JGP Sirens (Decided to call the custom built ones by the designers name) sadly. According to a coworker I work with who lives in SJC and has all his life told me that the sirens used to sound much louder when it was STL-10’s and JGP’s before they replaced them with the whelens. So one thing is for sure the JGP’s were much louder than the whelens. Another person I used to know who from the HS I go to worked for Pacific Bell (AT&T) in the late 80’s to mid 90’s did maintenance on the phone lines in the SONGS EPZ and told me he used to work on the phone lines going to them and checked them so that means the JGP’s were also remotely activated so if that were the case and if they had an air compressor tank instead of a blower as per the patent the remote activation would have somehow had to have start the compressor up to provide the air to the siren. That’s all the info I have on them I wish I could provide more but I can’t cause that’s all I know.

Duderocks5539

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:36 pm

SiraTone wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:46 am
The Video is 3 hours long since it’s a full cabride on Amtrak’s Pacific Surfliner from LA-SD and is on DVD. Somebody did post it on google drive which I will try to find. Please note I am have been very very busy lately so I haven’t had a chance. There is really nothing other than 1 Toshiba by Pacific Sales and the rest of the sirens seen seen are STL-10’s. The Whelen by JSerra was addded in when the upgrade was done. And if your wondering DudeRocks5539 yes I do live in South OC no I don’t live in SJC or any of the cities in the SONGS EPZ. I don’t want to really disclose where I live in south OC but all I will say is I live in the Mission Viejo area. I created this account a long time ago to view a thread that you had to be a member on here to read. I never got to here the JGP Sirens (Decided to call the custom built ones by the designers name) sadly. According to a coworker I work with who lives in SJC and has all his life told me that the sirens used to sound much louder when it was STL-10’s and JGP’s before they replaced them with the whelens. So one thing is for sure the JGP’s were much louder than the whelens. Another person I used to know who from the HS I go to worked for Pacific Bell (AT&T) in the late 80’s to mid 90’s did maintenance on the phone lines in the SONGS EPZ and told me he used to work on the phone lines going to them and checked them so that means the JGP’s were also remotely activated so if that were the case and if they had an air compressor tank instead of a blower as per the patent the remote activation would have somehow had to have start the compressor up to provide the air to the siren. That’s all the info I have on them I wish I could provide more but I can’t cause that’s all I know.
Ok nice ,does he have any videos or pictures of them ,if not does he know the HZ rating on the JGP sirens? Also i'll be taking a tour of SONGS this weekend so i'll ask about the JGP sirens and where they went. When you find the video please post it on a thread. Also the Whelen 2810s are 121-126 DB so i'm guessing the JGP sirens must've been about 128-130 DBs.

SiraTone

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:04 pm

The person I know who used to work for Pacific Bell (It was Pacific Bell at the time now AT&T) just checked and serviced to phone lines going to them. He retired years ago he didn’t test them or service them since that wasn’t his job it was Edison’s. The coworker that I work with just knows they sounded much louder cause he lives close to the one by Pacific Sales and has lived in San Juan all his life. So nobody knows the MHZ rating sadly.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”