md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:34 pm

Allertor113 wrote:
thewoog34 wrote:
Allertor113 wrote:
As long as they work and are loud there okay with me! I don't see why everyone hates the ATi's so much, I mean hell they save lives don't they? I actually kinda like ATI's especially San Francisco's or whatever down does the STL sound.
ATIs have a very high rate of failure; in the activation, the controls, or the drivers overheating and failing. Not to mention they're very sloppy looking. Even ASC with their nearly identical E-class sirens can keep the wiring from being all over the place.
Do you have applicable proof? Just because everyone else hates them doesn't mean you have to jump on the bandwagon, If everyone preached good about ATI's everyone would love them. Go look at some 1000T videos on youtube you'll find little kids preaching hate on ati's with no solid evidence.
A lot of quote embedding going on but heh....

ATI's aren't the best out there, it's the simple "you get what you pay for" mentality. Sure, they don't make a nice sound - that's the point. It gets your attention. I'm personally on the fence with them. I just wish they would at least put some effort into the tone generators like what whelen did. :)
--bc

thewoog34
YouTube Username: Thewoog34

Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:47 pm

Allertor113 wrote:
thewoog34 wrote:
Allertor113 wrote:
As long as they work and are loud there okay with me! I don't see why everyone hates the ATi's so much, I mean hell they save lives don't they? I actually kinda like ATI's especially San Francisco's or whatever down does the STL sound.
ATIs have a very high rate of failure; in the activation, the controls, or the drivers overheating and failing. Not to mention they're very sloppy looking. Even ASC with their nearly identical E-class sirens can keep the wiring from being all over the place.
Do you have applicable proof? Just because everyone else hates them doesn't mean you have to jump on the bandwagon, If everyone preached good about ATI's everyone would love them. Go look at some 1000T videos on youtube you'll find little kids preaching hate on ati's with no solid evidence.
Look up "ati siren lawsuit" or "ati siren failure" on Google or do some exploring on these forums for plenty of updates on ATI systems failing.
What happened when Napoleon went to Mt. Olive? Popeye got pissed.

http://www.youtube.com/thewoog34

Allertor113
YouTube Username: RLDproductions

Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:54 pm

Okay, Now look up Federal Signal siren failing. I'm sure there are alot more federal signal sirens failing then are ATI's.
Siren/Field Technician
Moore, Oklahoma

SIRENMAN

CTI

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:59 am

Does anyone know when CTI started business?

TboltTX1
YouTube Username: TboltTX1, Sentry40V2T

Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:17 am

Allertor113 wrote:Do you have applicable proof? Just because everyone else hates them doesn't mean you have to jump on the bandwagon, If everyone preached good about ATI's everyone would love them. Go look at some 1000T videos on youtube you'll find little kids preaching hate on ati's with no solid evidence.
Actually, I spoke with the emergency manager for the city of Baytown, Texas about what I thought were Whelen 2016s. Here is the link to one on google streetview.

http://goo.gl/maps/lUEf

They upgraded to Federal Modulators about two years ago, and I was trying to obtain one of the old sirens. It turns out that they were those ATI speaker arrays and he told me that none of them worked even when they were first installed. They were hauled straight to the dump as soon as they were pulled. I don't think it is any coincidence.

I do think the rotating ATI's look cool though, and I think they would make decent sirens if they had better tone generators.

Allertor113
YouTube Username: RLDproductions

Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:42 am

*facepalm* Does no one realize what I'm trying to say? EVERY Company has products that fail, Just because ATI's fail a bit more than everything else does, doesn't mean they are bad sirens. They still save lives.
Siren/Field Technician
Moore, Oklahoma

mrboojay
YouTube Username: mrboojay13
Discord: mrboojay

Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Here are a few:

ASC AL-8000 = 126 dB

ASC AL-6000 = 121 dB

ASC AL-4000 = 115 dB

ASC AL-2000 = 112 dB

ASC AL-1000 = 108 dB
Proud owner of a 1986 Thunderbeam RSH-10B (Blown) and a 1954 Thunderbolt 1000A. (With 4/5)
flickr
YouTube

Busgeek71

Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:45 pm

Allertor113 wrote:*facepalm* Does no one realize what I'm trying to say? EVERY Company has products that fail, Just because ATI's fail a bit more than everything else does, doesn't mean they are bad sirens. They still save lives.
I agree! The ATIs in my community actually never fail, so not every siren is bad. They will advance eventually like Whelen did in the past. ATI is slowly getting there. Slowly.

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:41 pm

Allertor113 wrote:*facepalm* Does no one realize what I'm trying to say? EVERY Company has products that fail, Just because ATI's fail a bit more than everything else does, doesn't mean they are bad sirens. They still save lives.
I wholly understand what you're getting at. If it is man-made, it's going to have a failure rate. Whether be it being one month to fifty years out from manufacturing date.

Simply put, if it works and gets the job done - it's a good day. Failure rate across anything manufactured varies upon location, weather, other remote methods of failure. :)
--bc

Batman
YouTube Username: BatmansSirenChannel

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:59 pm

mrboojay wrote:Here are a few:

ASC AL-8000 = 126 dB

ASC AL-6000 = 121 dB

ASC AL-4000 = 115 dB

ASC AL-2000 = 112 dB

ASC AL-1000 = 108 dB
Thanks, dude! I was trying to find the ratings for those.

As for ATIs, they could save lives, but not if they malfunction just as an EF-5 is ripping it's way toward the town. We value reliability in everything we buy, but with sirens, it's a necessity. If I were in charge of buying sirens for a city/town, I would go to the company with the lowest failure rate, without hesitation.
Proud owner of a spontaneously-purchased 1940 Federal Electric Type A
Ulster County NY Map | Broome County NY Map | Union County NC Map

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”