Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:35 am

FedTB wrote:It was mentioned here on one of the threads awhile back that Rockford doesn't have any sirens. Roscoe is a suburb of Rockford. Are you sure that there are sirens in Rockford? You only show pics of sirens in Roscoe!

Yes, I've heard of Atlanta. :roll: I forgot that they don't have sirens anymore.

Didn't know that Springfield, Ohio didn't have sirens. Don't know much about that city.
I found that article while searching to see if they had any sirens. Now I want to smack their city director :P
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:36 am

FedTB wrote:It was mentioned here on one of the threads awhile back that Rockford doesn't have any sirens. Roscoe is a suburb of Rockford. Are you sure that there are sirens in Rockford? You only show pics of sirens in Roscoe!
Oh yeah, Rockford definitely has sirens also. The system is a county-wide system and covers Rockford, Roscoe, Rockton, Loves Park, and everywhere in between. A few I can think of right off the top of my head would be the T-135AC/DC on the backside of Rockford College's campus, a T-128AC/DC at Harrison Ave & 8th St, and a T-135AC/DC at Thomas Jefferson High School. There are plenty more scattered about too.

There was an article in the Rockford Register Star about the first test of their new system, and explains a little more about it.
http://www.rrstar.com/x313667615/Winneb ... new-sirens

Here's a video someone took of the T-135 at Rockford College:
http://youtu.be/AjAg6xI6uDA

And the T-128 at Harrison & 8th:
http://youtu.be/9QPv36hrfYQ

And yet another T-128 at the pumping station on State St (siren was moved down the road a bit from here recently):
http://youtu.be/PTfn6bLYt0M
-Ian M.

BadgerSiren

Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:02 am

mr_thunderbolt1003 wrote:
Oh yeah, Rockford definitely has sirens also. The system is a county-wide system and covers Rockford, Roscoe, Rockton, Loves Park, and everywhere in between.
If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure the newly installed T-135s are Rockford's first sirens in some time, if not ever. I don't think Rockford proper had a system before hand.
A resident of arguably the most siren-diverse county in history.

Archon

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:00 am

I'm Pretty sure Rockford had some sirens from the Nuclear power plant to it south

Crazywarriorman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:10 am

Rockford has sirens. Last time I checked they were 130s.
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

500AT

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:32 am

My father used to work in Terre Haute back in the mid-1950s. I can remember him telling me about their siren system. They would have air-raid drills, complete with "Duck & Cover" for the kids in the schools. However, since he passed away many years ago, I am not able to inquire about the details of these sirens. However, they must have vanished at some point in the 1960s?

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

FedTB

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:25 am

OK, so I now know Rockford has sirens. Thanks for the clarification! At least they have decent sirens! :D

As far as Terre Haute and their former siren system, maybe it was discarded later than the 1960s for all we know.

EOWS 612

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:38 am

New Goshen is a little ways northeast of Terre Haute and has a Darley 5. The county just north of Vigo is filled with big Whelen omni's in every little village. I thought somewhere near there had a Sterling of some sort but it's been so long since I've been there I can't remember.

acacyclone125
New User
YouTube Username: DA AMAZIN" SPAH

Re: Does Terre Haute, Indiana now have a siren system?

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:47 pm

there IS one at isu, BUT there is also one in Rosedale, Parke County, IN, it is a whelen omni-directional, which is tested monthly, you should contact the Parke County EMA, because i only know it's tested monthly, i don't know exactly when, hope this info helps!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”