FedTB

Does Terre Haute, Indiana now have a siren system?

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Over the past several years I've driven through Terre Haute, Indiana on my way to Indianapolis. I've been to downtown Terre Haute and other parts of the city and have never seen a siren. I thought that was kind of strange since Terre Haute has a large population (60,000-plus) and is tornado-prone, though it's not technically in "Tornado Alley."

Today I happened across an online article about sirens going off in Terre Haute for a recent Tornado Warning. I was surprised, since I've never seen any. After doing a little research I discovered that there are sirens on the campus of Indiana State University, one at ISU's apartemnts, and at the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. ISU has at least one Federal STH-10. I'm not sure what the other one is, though I would imagine it's possibly another STH-10. Not sure what Rose-Hulman has on their campus.

So, I'm not sure if only ISU and Rose-Hulman have sirens and the rest of the city does not, or what.

If anyone's familiar with Terre Haute, can you elaborate on this? I did find a video on YouTube of a Tornado Warning in Terre Haute and there was a tornado siren blaring in the background, which did sound like an STH-10, with a long wind-down.
Last edited by FedTB on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

coppercarl
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: TheWeatherGuys

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Terre Haute only has two sirens, both of which belong to ISU. The STH-10 you mentioned, and a Model 5 on top of some dorms on the south west side of the campus. In fact, those are the only two known sirens in Vigo County.
Ian Tate
Facebook

FedTB

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:54 pm

Coppercarl, I did read that Rose-Hulman has one siren on their campus, so that's only 3 sirens in all of Vigo County.

I guess that these schools figure that since the city that they're located in is too cheap to buy a siren system that it's up to them (the school) to warn their students of impending dangers.

Southeast Missouri State University, located in Cape Girardeau, has sirens on its campus: 3 or 4 Federal Modulators. The City of Cape Girardeau has 4 Federal 2001s and a Model 2 as its siren system, and wants to invest in more sirens for the rest of the city, which has a population of 35,000.

I can't believe that a city of 60,000-plus does not have a siren system! Although neither does Rockford, Illinois, and they're much larger than Terre Haute. But still, why don't these 2 large cities have siren systems? Did they used to, or is it a case that they never had one in the first place?

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:16 pm

FedTB wrote:Coppercarl, I did read that Rose-Hulman has one siren on their campus, so that's only 3 sirens in all of Vigo County.

I guess that these schools figure that since the city that they're located in is too cheap to buy a siren system that it's up to them (the school) to warn their students of impending dangers.

Southeast Missouri State University, located in Cape Girardeau, has sirens on its campus: 3 or 4 Federal Modulators. The City of Cape Girardeau has 4 Federal 2001s and a Model 2 as its siren system, and wants to invest in more sirens for the rest of the city, which has a population of 35,000.

I can't believe that a city of 60,000-plus does not have a siren system! Although neither does Rockford, Illinois, and they're much larger than Terre Haute. But still, why don't these 2 large cities have siren systems? Did they used to, or is it a case that they never had one in the first place?
Ever heard of Atlanta, GA?

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:25 am

Rockford has sirens, lots of them. Ian has pictures of the 135 AC/DC we saw there.

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:12 am

holler wrote:Rockford has sirens, lots of them. Ian has pictures of the 135 AC/DC we saw there.
Yeah, Winnebago County has a fairly new system of ASC T-135AC/DCs and T-128AC/DCs. There are still a few old sirens from their old system hanging around, but I'd imagine they're decommissioned.

T-135AC/DC on McCurry Road in Roscoe:
Image Image Image

ACA P-10 at Players Park in Roscoe:
-Ian M.

Trevor
Supporter
Supporter

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:20 am

Is that one of Clayton's sirens? Or is it just painted black?

Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:21 am

FedTB wrote:I can't believe that a city of 60,000-plus does not have a siren system!
Springfield, Ohio doesn't either (see this article for more info). Population there is 60,608 according to Wikipedia.
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:29 am

firealarm211 wrote:Is that one of Clayton's sirens? Or is it just painted black?
Pretty sure it's just an ACA painted black, but you never know!
-Ian M.

FedTB

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:29 am

It was mentioned here on one of the threads awhile back that Rockford doesn't have any sirens. Roscoe is a suburb of Rockford. Are you sure that there are sirens in Rockford? You only show pics of sirens in Roscoe!

Yes, I've heard of Atlanta. :roll: I forgot that they don't have sirens anymore.

Didn't know that Springfield, Ohio didn't have sirens. Don't know much about that city.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”