Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Re: German outdoor pneumatic sirens

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:18 pm

Duderocks5539 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:46 pm
Ive heard someone say the Rickmers Werft's were custom made ,is that true?
Rickmers Werft was a shipbuilding company if I am not mistaken. The whole custom thing may be a valid point, but I believe it may have been one of the main manufacturers alongside Pintsch Bamag and Hörmann.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

E57
YouTube Username: Badischer Heuler

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:40 pm

Hi!
Duderocks5539 wrote:Ive heard someone say the Rickmers Werft's were custom made ,is that true?
AFAIK no, I try to explain it a little bit as good as I can.

Rickmers-Werft produced only five of them. None of them is still operating. Two stood in Rüsselsheim. One was dismantled in the 90ies and the other one was replaced by a ECN in 2010. (There are three videos of it in action taken by e57 michel on YT!)
Then the other three stood in Darmstadt. One of the three was dismantled completely around 12-14 years ago. The two other were converted, they put a HLS 273 on the head of the Rickmers Werft, because the HLS 273 were said to be louder.

We German siren enthusiasts do not really know why Rickmers-Werft produced only five sirens and why they ever produced sirens since they were a ship building company.
So we can only guess...

But we have do an assumption:
The federal government did a bidding to decide which company will continue building up HLS over the whole country. The bidding was neccessary because Pinsch-Bamag went bankrupt and wasn't able to produce any sirens anymore.
Rickmers-Werft and Hörmann took part in that bidding. They produced some example models, so the federal government could decide which company they take. Hörmann supposedly won the bidding and built the F71 and later its successor HLS 273.
That means Rickmers-Werft lost the bidding and quit the whole siren thing.
But I want to say it again, this is only an assumption, no confirmed informations.
Brendan W wrote:Rickmers Werft was a shipbuilding company if I am not mistaken. The whole custom thing may be a valid point, but I believe it may have been one of the main manufacturers alongside Pintsch Bamag and Hörmann.
Yep, and that is the point that makes us wonder. Nop, Rickmers-Werft was not one of the main manufacturer, those were only Pintsch-Bamag and Hörmann as you said. As I explained above, Rickmers-Werft supposedly tried to get into the siren thing and failed.

Greets from Germany!
German siren enthusiast
I apologize for possible mistakes in grammar or language, English isn't my native language.

Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:45 pm

E57 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:40 pm
Hi!
Duderocks5539 wrote:Ive heard someone say the Rickmers Werft's were custom made ,is that true?
AFAIK no, I try to explain it a little bit as good as I can.

Rickmers-Werft produced only five of them. None of them is still operating. Two stood in Rüsselsheim. One was dismantled in the 90ies and the other one was replaced by a ECN in 2010. (There are three videos of it in action taken by e57 michel on YT!)
Then the other three stood in Darmstadt. One of the three was dismantled completely around 12-14 years ago. The two other were converted, they put a HLS 273 on the head of the Rickmers Werft, because the HLS 273 were said to be louder.

We German siren enthusiasts do not really know why Rickmers-Werft produced only five sirens and why they ever produced sirens since they were a ship building company.
So we can only guess...

But we have do an assumption:
The federal government did a bidding to decide which company will continue building up HLS over the whole country. The bidding was neccessary because Pinsch-Bamag went bankrupt and wasn't able to produce any sirens anymore.
Rickmers-Werft and Hörmann took part in that bidding. They produced some example models, so the federal government could decide which company they take. Hörmann supposedly won the bidding and built the F71 and later its successor HLS 273.
That means Rickmers-Werft lost the bidding and quit the whole siren thing.
But I want to say it again, this is only an assumption, no confirmed informations.
Brendan W wrote:Rickmers Werft was a shipbuilding company if I am not mistaken. The whole custom thing may be a valid point, but I believe it may have been one of the main manufacturers alongside Pintsch Bamag and Hörmann.
Yep, and that is the point that makes us wonder. Nop, Rickmers-Werft was not one of the main manufacturer, those were only Pintsch-Bamag and Hörmann as you said. As I explained above, Rickmers-Werft supposedly tried to get into the siren thing and failed.

Greets from Germany!
Thanks for the info ,But why isn't any Rickmers Werfts active? I don't understand why the HLS-273s and Pintsch Bamags are still active ,but the Rickmers Werft and F-71s aren't.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:05 pm

Duderocks5539 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:45 pm
Thanks for the info ,But why isn't any Rickmers Werfts active? I don't understand why the HLS-273s and Pintsch Bamags are still active, but the Rickmers Werfts and F-71s aren't.
Well because A: they're disconnected and have different sirens connected to their controls and B: turn this arguement around and ask why there are systems of Thunderbolts sitting inactive in America.

The answer to B could be many reasons, but 2 are that the system was only for a nuclear attack early warning, or, the juristiction favoured newer sirens or CodeRed etc.

In Germany's case, electronic sirens indirectly replaced the F-71s in the Rhineland (or the electronic sirens were placed right were the F-71 siren heads were, with the F-71s being placed on the ground in the compound), for reasons I do not know but I think the amount of moving parts (compressor was a diesel or petrol powered one, with Cologne replacing some of them with electric motors for their HLS-273s) and electronics in a bunker that could flood may have been a strong point. The remaining two sirens in Darmstadt had the heads replaced with HLS-273s due to noise performance and loudness as said above.

It all really depends on the province you're in and how they deal with their ageing technology with regards to protecting the people. Same as where most of the people on here live, where different states, counties, EMAs and fire departments sometimes having different attitudes about their siren systems.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

Duderocks5539

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:00 am

DJ2226 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:18 am
Rotor from a Pintsch Bamag.
What is the diameter of the rotor?
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.

Duderocks5539

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Also ,does anyone of pictures of the Hormann F-71s engine room?

Chem_Boffin_6589

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Duderocks5539 wrote:
It is the same as the HLS series. If you scrolled up and looked at that link to the German forum where that guy got the F-71 head, you'd be able to see the bunker.
Alfie Woolard

Duderocks5539

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:53 pm

Chem_Boffin_6589 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:48 pm
Duderocks5539 wrote:
It is the same as the HLS series. If you scrolled up and looked at that link to the German forum where that guy got the F-71 head, you'd be able to see the bunker.
Ok ,thanks.

Duderocks5539

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:57 pm

So did the compressor look like this? (This is a Pintsch Bamag's engine and compressor)

http://hochleistungssirene.de/pics/funk ... ion_13.jpg

Chem_Boffin_6589

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:15 pm

Duderocks5539 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:57 pm
So did the compressor look like this? (This is a Pintsch Bamag's engine and compressor)

http://hochleistungssirene.de/pics/funk ... ion_13.jpg
More or less, yes. It's just that most of it, as it is a different company, will be different and I think a tad more spaced out.
Alfie Woolard

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”