holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:36 am

I've heard the 10/12 500 in Byron, GA before, and I definitely think its around 125-127 DB. It was every bit as loud as a p-15 8 port, 1000T, or a vortex. That siren is a beast. Should have made one using the STL guts instead of the STH.

weasel2htm
YouTube Username: weasel2htm

Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:11 am

holler wrote:I've heard the 10/12 500 in Byron, GA before, and I definitely think its around 125-127 DB. It was every bit as loud as a p-15 8 port, 1000T, or a vortex. That siren is a beast. Should have made one using the STL guts instead of the STH.
Next you'll be wanting to experiment with an RSL-10. :P

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:53 am

weasel2htm wrote:Next you'll be wanting to experiment with an RSL-10. :P
Oh we've talked about that before, and I wouldn't doubt that to be the next frankenstein project he and I do! I should have an RSH-10A added to my collection around the end of the year, so it will probably happen a lot sooner than you think. :lol:
-Ian M.

FedTB

Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:54 am

There are NO 500 or 550 sirens in St. Louis or St. Louis County. If there were any then it had to have been prior to 1982 when the Whelen 2000s and 3016s were installed in St. Louis County. That's when the old SD-10s were taken down, and there were at least 3 of those that I know of (2 in Webster Groves and 1 in Creve Coueur, on Lindbergh Blvd. south of Olive Blvd.).

Maybe there were some 500s or 550s back then that I never knew of. But I can assure you that there are none now in St. Louis nor in St. Louis County.

holler
High Leg
High Leg

Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:14 pm

I saw a picture a few years back of the 550 in St Louis. Adam Pollak took it. He also took some pictures of the few remaining SD-10's.

uncommonsense

Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:32 pm

Pictures or it didn't happen. I'm behind FedTB here.

St. Louis also is a vague term that describes a large metro area. I would want to know where it is as well.

MARSAUTOSIREN
YouTube Username: CornFedProductions
Discord: [Technician] Skoat

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:35 am

Agreed.
Steven Shortt: General Motors Automotive Technician
1982 Thunderbolt 1000T
MARS 24V Fire Truck Siren

holler
High Leg
High Leg

Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:46 pm

I'm not going to repost his picture without his permission.

So if you want to make me out a liar that bad just message Adam Pollak.

FedTB

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

I'm not accusing anyone of being a liar. The 550s may have been around before I was old enough to drive (I'm 47 now) and taken down sometime in the early 1980s. And if Adam took some pictures "of the few remaining SD-10s" then it had to have been back in the very early 1980s, and I don't think he was siren buffing around here back then. I can assure you that they were taken down about 30 years ago! Maybe you're getting mixed up with St. Louis' STL-10s, that he had some pictures of those?!

Maybe Adam took pictures of 550s over on the Illinois side of the St. Louis metro area. That's possible because I'm not real familiar with who has what over that way. I know of some sirens over there in the various cities and towns but not like I do on the Missouri side of the metro area.

And if there were some 550s in St. Louis County then I'd love to see the pictures and where they (the sirens) were located. Not because I want someone to prove that they did exist, but because I'm genuinely interested in knowing where they were at. Maybe some of the western St. Louis County municipalities had them and I didn't know that because I never made it out that way a lot growing up. I can assure you that they did not exist in the City of St. Louis! They had sixty-plus STL-10s that were put in place in the late 1950s. And before that there were some Chrysler sirens.

I grew up in southern St. Louis County, where there were some T-Bolts. There was also a red Model 5 located on the roof of the VA Hospital along I-255 near the JB Bridge. The siren is still up on the roof but hasn't been activated since the Whelens were installed in 1982. I had relatives that lived in northern St. Louis County and I remember seeing T-Bolts up that way as well.

If any St. Louis metro area siren buffs are reading this and are familiar with the area of Webster Groves, I can tell you that there was an SD-10 located on Murdoch Avenue at Big Bend Road. Another SD-10 in Webster was located in the rear of a row of houses that back up to Watson Road just east of Elm Avenue. Seemed like an odd place for a siren. I wouldn't doubt if there were 2 more SD-10s in Webster Groves back then, since their decibal rating isn't that great.

So hopefully Adam reads this and posts the pics of the 550s.

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:26 pm

Guess I need to check in more often! Here is the pic of the siren. While a dual-head rotating one, it doesn't look like traditional 550s. The antenna mast there obviously means it hasn't rotated in a while either. it was removed probably 5 years ago from Pattonville-Bridgeton Sta #1.

http://youtube.com/CrazySirenBoy
Proud owner of: Thunderbolt 1003, Thunderbolt 1000, STH-10A, Model 5BT, Model 5B, Model 3B, Model 2T (noon daily @ 1/2 voltage), Model 2, Decot, Sterling Little Giant

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”