spotandtiggerbug

San Onofre Toshiba Omnidirectional

Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:21 am

Does anyone know what they sound like? I know Whelen Omnis replaced them... Ive seen the Whelens. Ive also seen Thunderbolt-looking things... Does anyone know what those are?

SirenMadness

Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:23 am

There have been a couple of vids on YT of Japanese sirens that were presumed to be the Toshibas, though nobody's sure.
~ Peter Radanovic

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:28 am

videogamer
Matt Ullman

spotandtiggerbug

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:04 am

Thanks for showing me, never knew they had sirens like that... Scary

Daniel

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:48 am

Those sirens in Japan are not the same as the ones in California. Those were made by an engineer in California, not Toshiba, and looked like a giant version of an Eclipse. They were closer to German HLS sirens and used compressed air. The sirens in this Japanese video look like standard vertical motor sirens with a damper on top.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

spotandtiggerbug

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:20 am

Daniel wrote:Those sirens in Japan are not the same as the ones in California. Those were made by an engineer in California, not Toshiba, and looked like a giant version of an Eclipse. They were closer to German HLS sirens and used compressed air. The sirens in this Japanese video look like standard vertical motor sirens with a damper on top.
Oh, ok thanks.

TboltTX1
YouTube Username: TboltTX1, Sentry40V2T

Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Daniel wrote:Those sirens in Japan are not the same as the ones in California. Those were made by an engineer in California, not Toshiba, and looked like a giant version of an Eclipse. They were closer to German HLS sirens and used compressed air. The sirens in this Japanese video look like standard vertical motor sirens with a damper on top.
I'm wondering how they even got the name toshiba? It's a shame no one has any recordings or videos of them activating.

weasel2htm
YouTube Username: weasel2htm

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:48 pm

TboltTX1 wrote: I'm wondering how they even got the name toshiba? It's a shame no one has any recordings or videos of them activating.

If I understand right, the Toshiba siren was built by the same Toshiba that makes electronics.

kx250rider
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: kx250racer

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:40 pm

weasel2htm wrote:
TboltTX1 wrote: I'm wondering how they even got the name toshiba? It's a shame no one has any recordings or videos of them activating.

If I understand right, the Toshiba siren was built by the same Toshiba that makes electronics.
In a way... They started out in the 1930s as Shibura Brothers Radio Assembly Group of Tokyo, and then Tokyo-Shibura Electrical, and eventually came the household name Toshiba.

They've gotten into many kinds of manufacturing, and are now basically a conglomerate, and probably do very little of their own manufacturing anymore; at least not in Japan.

Charles
Yes, that's a real 500-lb Federal SD-10 I'm holding (braggart!)

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:41 pm

For a while Sentry was using Toshiba motors in their sirens. The 10V2T in Prairie Du Sac, WI has a Toshiba motor.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”