MattDean1003

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:38 pm

Toshiba makes good stuff. I clearly remember their TV's and HDTV's hardly ever coming back to Circuit City as their failure rate was quite low. Same with their laptops. I wouldn't trust an HP, Compaq or Dell as far as I could throw them but Toshiba is one of the companies that does it right. Acer is also a great company thats highly under-rated...which is now the parent company of eMachines and Gateway. Not to get off topic.
James M. Dean

spotandtiggerbug

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:57 pm

MattDean1003 wrote:Toshiba makes good stuff. I clearly remember their TV's and HDTV's hardly ever coming back to Circuit City as their failure rate was quite low. Same with their laptops. I wouldn't trust an HP, Compaq or Dell as far as I could throw them but Toshiba is one of the companies that does it right. Acer is also a great company thats highly under-rated...which is now the parent company of eMachines and Gateway. Not to get off topic.
I actually have dropped my Toshiba Satellite a few times but it works awesome :D

TboltTX1
YouTube Username: TboltTX1, Sentry40V2T

Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:53 am

weasel2htm wrote:
TboltTX1 wrote: I'm wondering how they even got the name toshiba? It's a shame no one has any recordings or videos of them activating.

If I understand right, the Toshiba siren was built by the same Toshiba that makes electronics.

No, I mean if the siren was designed and made by an engineer from SONGS and not the company toshiba, how did it get the name?

Daniel

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:28 am

TboltTX1 wrote:
weasel2htm wrote:
TboltTX1 wrote: I'm wondering how they even got the name toshiba? It's a shame no one has any recordings or videos of them activating.

If I understand right, the Toshiba siren was built by the same Toshiba that makes electronics.

No, I mean if the siren was designed and made by an engineer from SONGS and not the company toshiba, how did it get the name?
Someone on this board said that they were made by Toshiba, and everyone started calling them Toshiba sirens, but there was a post several years ago about the patent for these sirens. I remember something about them having four-port rotors with a Teflon coating for closer tolerances, and a valve that did not admit air into the rotor until it was up to speed.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

SirenMadness

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:59 am

As doubtful as I am, I sure hope at least one is in good hands somewhere!
~ Peter Radanovic

Taterworks

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:57 am

Old thread, but:

Based on my research into the patent, the 'Toshiba' siren used by Southern California Edison for the San Onofre power station could not produce sound at any meaningful level without a secondary air source. The siren head itself was only a rotary valve, with the aforementioned Teflon seals at the valve openings, and there were no rotating vanes in the siren head to generate air pressure.

If these sirens ever functioned properly, it was with an external blower or air compressor. A blower seems more likely to me. A pneumatic siren would require much more frequent maintenance to drain water from the air tank, and to change the oil in the compressor.

I think it's curious that the designer of the siren lived in Northridge, CA - home to Altec Lansing and JBL, which manufactured horn-loaded loudspeakers. I would think that same talent pool might have been tapped to design this siren.

SirenMadness

Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:18 am

So that rotary valve essentially created the "chop" effect in each horn by alternating the position of its one orifice, or did the valve have one orifice per horn? If the later, that would have probably made it a cylindrical chopper much akin to that of a later HLS.
~ Peter Radanovic

500AT

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:08 pm

If you watch the 1956 Japanese Kaiju classic "Rodan," Toho Productions uses Toshiba sirens in the soundtrack. In one scene you can see a close-up of the siren as the creature flies over Sasebo-shi. In this trailer for the movie, you can hear the siren at the 0:29 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fONQK87h1X0

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Duderocks5539
YouTube Username: Duderocks5539
Discord: Duderocks5539

Re: San Onofre Toshiba Omnidirectional

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:12 pm

Daniel wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:28 am
TboltTX1 wrote:
weasel2htm wrote:

Someone on this board said that they were made by Toshiba, and everyone started calling them Toshiba sirens, but there was a post several years ago about the patent for these sirens. I remember something about them having four-port rotors with a Teflon coating for closer tolerances, and a valve that did not admit air into the rotor until it was up to speed.
Here's the patent for the Toshiba/Mystery octagon siren if anyone is curious. https://www.google.com/patents/US480720 ... hDoAQhIMAU
Last edited by Duderocks5539 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Proud owner of a Federal Sign & Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, Federal Sign & Signal Model L, Darley Model 2-120 and a Model 120 from the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant.
Model 120 wiki: https://wiki.airraidsirens.net/Model_120

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Re: San Onofre Toshiba Omnidirectional

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:25 pm

So basically, from what I can gather, it is a Japanese/American take on the Hoermann F71 / HLS series?
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”