freebrickproductions
YouTube Username: freebrickproductions

7-9-18 Whelen Vortex Siren Silent Test & Wail Tone, near Elkmont, AL

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:45 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM-6xQEXaW4

I had just gotten home from Florida Sunday evening, so I decided to go out yesterday and record the monthly test in Limestone County. I decided to go to this siren in the northwestern part of the county after hearing from another local enthusiast that it still has the original fin on the back of it as the county had somehow missed this one when removing all of the fins from the other Vortexes in the county. I had gone back to my car to grab a chair when I noticed the siren rotating for a silent test a few minutes before the scheduled test time. I had figured that it wasn't the official test, so I waited a few more minutes and sure enough, the siren fired right on up! Certainly sounded rather nice, especially with the echos off of the surrounding landscape!

The siren is located next to a water tower near West Limestone High School, and it appears that the county was doing some work on the water tower (stripping the paint from two of the legs, it appears), so the silent test was likely to warn the workers of the test that was about to happen. Not entirely sure what they were doing, as the 18 wheeler seen during the video was delivering something for the crew at the water tower, it appears.

Also, not sure if I'm gonna be able to record Madison County's test this month, as I'm working through the test time, again.

Limestone County, AL tests on the second Monday of the month at 9:15 AM, weather permitting.

Limestone County, AL siren map:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7896432 ... authuser=0
Collector of railroad crossing equipment, traffic lights, and fans.
I'm 20 years old and a Huntsville, AL native.

Friends don't let friends post videos with tones.

Return to “Videos and Media”