Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:02 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEO_63ABN8U
Finally got one of the new 508s instead of the P-50

Chem_Boffin_6589
YouTube Username: Alfie Woolard
Discord: Alfie

Re: FS 508 Rib Mountain, WI

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:07 pm

That Federal Signal and warning sticker on the motor box look terrible with that slap dash placement.
Alfie Woolard
Federal Signal MC know-it-all.
Installed, initiated and maintains school campus warning system.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGVVz ... 8BQ47VmdHg

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:28 pm

Chem_Boffin_6589 wrote:
That Federal Signal and warning sticker on the motor box look terrible with that slap dash placement.
All of the new 508’s and 2001-130’s/Equinoxes have them. They’ve added decals to the rear of all those I mentioned above since at least late 2015 or early 2016.

I’m not quite sure why they wanted to add a decal to the rear of their sirens (they still put the FS logo on the 2001’s on front as well as on the sticker on the rotator box; with the 508 there’s only one FS logo on the rotator box and another on the rear).

They’ve been doing this for several years now. Note that all new 2001’s and 508’s from 2016 or later have them.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:29 pm

fire_freak_57 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:28 pm
Chem_Boffin_6589 wrote:
All of the new 508’s and 2001-130’s/Equinoxes have them. They’ve added decals to the rear of all those I mentioned above since at least late 2015 or early 2016.

I’m not quite sure why they wanted to add a decal to the rear of their sirens (they still put the FS logo on the 2001’s on front as well as on the sticker on the rotator box; with the 508 there’s only one FS logo on the rotator box and another on the rear).

They’ve been doing this for several years now. Note that all new 2001’s and 508’s from 2016 or later have them.
It's actually on purpose. Back in 2016, Federal changed their rotator bushings to a nylon one, however it wasn't too long that these units stopped rotating, because the nylon bushings would expand and lock up the rotator due to humidity and such. Federal changed over to a new graphite bushing to remedy this issue. The units that have been repaired have the FS logo in top right corner and the new units they make have one right in the middle directly above the ID tag.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:05 am

Tyler wrote:

It's actually on purpose. Back in 2016, Federal changed their rotator bushings to a nylon one, however it wasn't too long that these units stopped rotating, because the nylon bushings would expand and lock up the rotator due to humidity and such. Federal changed over to a new graphite bushing to remedy this issue. The units that have been repaired have the FS logo in top right corner and the new units they make have one right in the middle directly above the ID tag.
Huh, interesting. Never knew that. I guess you learn something new every day.

Why did they decide to change the rotator bushings anyways? Did they do it because they thought it’d be cheaper? I always thought those decals were stickers that didn’t matter where they were stuck on at, but I guess that makes sense.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:55 am

fire_freak_57 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:05 am
Tyler wrote:

Huh, interesting. Never knew that. I guess you learn something new every day.

Why did they decide to change the rotator bushings anyways? Did they do it because they thought it’d be cheaper? I always thought those decals were stickers that didn’t matter where they were stuck on at, but I guess that makes sense.
They were looking for a more maintenance free, cost effective alternative to what they had.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

Return to “Videos and Media”