JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Volcano siren (EOWS 1212 in Whoop)

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:05 am

Video of when the first eruptions started inside Leilani Estates, Hawaii on May 3rd. Siren starts at 1:45. It's an EOWS 1212 located near the cell tower on Kupono St.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI6V3DSwHf0

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Re: Volcano siren (EOWS 1212 in Whoop)

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:13 am

I know there’s numerous MOD 3012’s around there as well as some older EOWS units like the 1212s, from looking at a Hawaii Siren Map (its a bit outdated but gets the job done).
I wonder if any got destroyed.
I wouldn’t doubt that at least one was destroyed or damaged by the eruption.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

Stag
YouTube Username: Spaghetti Jay

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:34 am

This is a really cool rare thing to see, it captures a real sense of impending doom I think, with the dual tone and unusual signal, as well as the sheer horrors this siren is warning of. I hope it is unharmed and I hope everyone in the area has been able to escape safely.

The most harrowing footage of sirens to me is witnessing them warn of actual, life threatening danger. It's also the most important to see, and reinforces just how crucial these systems really are. Sirens save lives! I'm very glad there's a whole community of people that understands how important it is to preserve and understand sirens as a piece of human history.
sincerely yours, a weird siren obsessed deer 🦌

RugerFan
New User

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:07 pm

So I have two questions. First, what tone is that? I may be wrong but I am certain I have never heard that tone. The second question is I thought all EOWS rotating sirens?

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:12 pm

RugerFan wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:07 pm
So I have two questions. First, what tone is that? I may be wrong but I am certain I have never heard that tone. The second question is I thought all EOWS rotating sirens?
Dude it literally says what tone it is in the title of this topic. Also please refer to THIS page for information on the EOWS line.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

RugerFan
New User

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:28 pm

I'm sorry, I am new to the group and I am still trying to figure out the page. I apologize.

SoundMaster 391
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: SoundMaster 391

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:59 pm

JasonC wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:05 am
Video of when the first eruptions started inside Leilani Estates, Hawaii on May 3rd. Siren starts at 1:45. It's an EOWS 1212 located near the cell tower on Kupono St.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI6V3DSwHf0
The 1212 was replaced with a Modulator 6024B. So that's actually a Mod you're hearing and not the 1212. You can see the 6024B in background of this video at the 1 min 26 sec mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvuolyqlUlE
fire_freak_57 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:13 am
I know there’s numerous MOD 3012’s around there as well as some older EOWS units like the 1212s, from looking at a Hawaii Siren Map (its a bit outdated but gets the job done).
I wonder if any got destroyed.
I wouldn’t doubt that at least one was destroyed or damaged by the eruption.
Do not use that map. I have a map which I made of Hawaii's siren system available for the public. It is almost up to date with the current system, but on some of the other islands I still need to find some sirens. Also to answer your question about any destroyed sirens, so far a 612 which was located in the town of Kapoho has been wiped out. On June 5th, the lava flow from fissure 8 flowed into Kapoho and destroyed almost everything there including the siren.
Owner of a Federal Enterprises Model 2, Federal Electric Model D, Sentry F2 and AR Timer
Click here for SoundMasters YouTube Channel

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:12 am

A 1212 is what I saw in street view, but the picture was from 2008. Also, another Modulator was just overtaken by lava a couple days ago. You can see it at 1:55 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ric3fAOuOsQ

Travis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: DL1011

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:50 am

There are still quite a lot of 1212/612 and first generation Modulators on the Big Island. I've been going there twice a year for the last 3 years now, and the replacement process is a very slow one. The only huge changes have been the SD/STH-10's coming down and the upgrading of the controllers on the older electronics.
-The Princess

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Travis wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:50 am
There are still quite a lot of 1212/612 and first generation Modulators on the Big Island. I've been going there twice a year for the last 3 years now, and the replacement process is a very slow one. The only huge changes have been the SD/STH-10's coming down and the upgrading of the controllers on the older electronics.
Their new system is one of (if not already) the most advanced siren systems in the United States.
No other state can really say that they have their entire state protected by a highly-advanced, unified siren system. And that is something of an achievement if you ask me.

First of all, they have wireless/cellular/satellite activation, and all their newer sirens run off of strictly batteries that are kept charged by solar energy.

Although there's plenty of solar powered sirens on the mainland (the city next to mine has both of their 2001-130's running off solar, one panel for each 12V battery in the cabinet), the only other system I know of that has wireless/cellular/satellite activation capability is Marion County, Indiana's (Indianapolis) siren system. There's surely many more out there, but that's one of the larger ones that I know of that we have here on the mainland (they have 168 sirens).
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

Return to “Videos and Media”