TrainsAndSirens1
YouTube Username: TrainsAndSirens1

My 2001-130, Attack (Take Cover) Activations for Tornado Warning 11/30/16

Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:32 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGd1yHCA6wA

LOTS (and LOTS) of info is in this!
This happened in the afternoon on November 30, 2016 in Greer, South Carolina. This is a video of my 2001-130 tornado siren sounding attack ("take cover") twice for the tornado warning.

I did not expect my place to be issued a tornado warning! I rushed fast as I could with my father's John Deere Gator 4X2 to get to the 2001-130 tornado siren to sound it off for its first emergency! This siren sounded for about 2 minutes. Sorry for the short video clips on the first activation. My father had camera issue and wasn't expecting me to sound the tornado siren. (My area never gets a tornado warning.)

The second tornado warning was half expected because how later it got (and I had a feeling it will). I originally expected another tornado warning to be issued at 5:00pm. But it was actually issued 7 minutes before 5:00pm. The video camera was luckily ready 2 minutes before the second tornado warning was issued. I rushed to the tornado siren again to sound it off. But I didn't mean to sound the tornado siren for over 4 minutes.

The camera videoed the 2001-130 tornado siren 2nd activation in distance and also videoed the best part of the severe thunderstorm. But I apologize for the video camera refocusing at a lot of parts, it was dark from the dark clouds, very rainy, and very windy (hard to tell it's windy, the camera has a windproof installed). (My father is the person operating the cameras from the yard and the house.)

I was outside operating the 2001-130 tornado siren in the bad severe thunderstorm during a tornado warning. The 2001-130 is in the woods. It's not safe for a siren operator to be outside operating the siren, especially in a tornado warning. I was manually operating the tornado siren in attack (take cover) mode. The 2001-130 does not have radio/remote set up. The controller itself is bad. (We installed light switches to make 2001-130 operate and I'm hoping to get Bluetooth light switches to install to the siren's current light switches.)

A tornado was reported (during the middle of the 2001-130 2nd activation) in southeast of Reidville (tornado was about 5 miles away from where my area). The tornado is rated EF0 (approximately 45mph winds).

5 conformed nearby neighbors heard the tornado siren. Supposedly around 20 neighbors heard the tornado siren.

A day later after this event, my mother received an email from an art teacher (lives half a mile away from 2001-130) said "Thanks for the siren!". The art teacher first heard the 2001-130 during she was drawing in her kitchen (I'm assuming the tornado siren 2nd sound off)! She then took action by checking the weather radio, then unplugged everything in the house and locked the house. (She only heard the warning by my 2001-130!) It was awesome! But that doesn't mean tornado/outdoor warning sirens are made to be heard indoors.

"Any sirens near you?" Yes, I live in Spartanburg County that has a emergency siren system. The nearest to me is the Whelen Vortex at Pelham-Batesville FD Station #4 (about 4 miles from where I live), but the bad news about that Vortex is has a broken rotator and is pointing north (away from where I live) at the same direction for years and I can't hear that Vortex. The county is not fixing the Vortex's rotator.
Another siren that is also closest near me is the Model 5 in Reidville, SC at former fire department. I couldn't hear it (siren is 5 miles away from where I live) due to trees. ('But one neighbor heard that Model 5 going off at the same time as my 2001-130 does!)
Spartanburg County siren system uses alert (steady) for tornado warnings only. But I use my 2001-130 in attack (wail) for tornado warnings (and possibly other emergencies) because the attack means to "take cover".

Cameras used for this video:
Nikon L310
iPhone 5S
JVC GZ-E200BU
iPhone SE
Owner of a -130, Modulator 6048, B-Series 1003,1000B, 3016, STH-10B, Little Giant, two 5As, 2, 2T, Model B9, 2 Model Ds, 4 Model As, Faraday Type 2, OC-9, 2 AR Timers, other. Skywarn Spotter.
https://youtube.com/user/TrainsAndSirens1

coastalsyrolover

Re: My 2001-130, Attack (Take Cover) Activations for Tornado Warning 11/30/16

Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:41 am

I always do alert for tornados and wailing for tsunamis, nuclear power plant emergencies or hazardous chemical spills. But that's awesome man! Great video and awesome your siren got to sing!
Own and love a Thunderbolt 1000 and a Model 5.

I have many hobbies and interests. And I love them all.

Christian, Lima, Oscah, November, Golf.

DrDanthrax99

Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:04 am

Exactly my response when I tell someone I'm saving up for a siren.
"What do you need this for?"
"To warn people of danger."

Nice thunderstorm, too. :)
"I'm a Clinically Depressed Fecalpheliac on Prozac."

floor-a-matic
YouTube Username: electrolux1205

Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:20 am

Next time use the ALERT signal
Proud owner of two 2T22s & a 3T22; & might acquire a roundback 2001 soon

Return to “Videos and Media”