Toledo 2t22
YouTube Username: Calvin Mayer

Downtown Hillsdale Thunderbolt 1000T 6-1-15

Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:50 pm

The famous Thunderbolt located atop of the Hillsdale Place Apartments in Hillsdale for the monthly test last night. Sirens in this county are tested on the first Monday at 6:00 PM during the summer months. The tornado watch signal, alert, is tested first. Then the warning signal, attack, follows after a few minutes. Aaron, Tyler, Tommy and Cruz joined me for this test as apart of our Great Northern Siren Enthusiast Meetup. The other siren heard during the test is the 2001-SRN north of this Thunderbolt at the College. Downtown Hillsdale also has a STH-10 that is supposedly coming down soon. The city got a grant to remove it from the Town Hall across the street from the FD, stating the "newer" siren sits atop an apartment complex a few blocks away. This Thunderbolt has apparently been known to break windows according to Ron, I remember this post (below) from around the time I first joined this site. At least after that they got the sense to put it 10 stories in the air.

500AT wrote:The Hillsdale City Fire Dept., found out that their Thunderbolt can break windows. After receiving their new 1000T in 1978, they decided to unpack the unit and test it at ground level, which is across the street from several businesses. Sadly, several windows were damaged, including those across the street and at the fire station. The city ended up paying the bill for all the cracked and broken windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmJ1cR9L1R0
-Calvin Mayer

Tyler, how many sirens do I own now?

Calvin Mayer on YouTube

anepstad
YouTube Username: Aaron Nepstad

Re: Downtown Hillsdale Thunderbolt 1000T 6-1-15

Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Here is my video from yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjfrHGkxIAg
Owner of a Federal Signal STH-10, 2 Federal Signal Model A's, 5 Federal Signal Model D's, Federal Signal RX, Federal Signal Model L, Streling F2, ASC T-121, Federal 3T22A and Federal Signal 3T22B

500AT

Re: Downtown Hillsdale Thunderbolt 1000T 6-1-15

Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:07 am

Excellent video!

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Return to “Videos and Media”